fitting open sights

mereside

Hi guys I am after some help I want to fit open sights to two of my rifles one a sako finbear and the other is a bsa stutzen i have been looking at williams firesights but if anyone has done any for driven shooting i am all ears, atb wayne

Personally I don't like iron sights that, like the Williams, basically are held in at the foresight by a screw or screws. Much better are those held on by silver solder. I've dropped a modern Parker Hale with such a Williams screwed on sight and they do bend!

Unless the rifle is pre-drilled and tapped then having it so done may be expensive. Also getting the right sight height may be as easy as a simple boresight or it may be more complicated. It may be cheaper to get a low power, say 1x or 2x 'scope.

Some say that a peep rear rear is better, others an open mid, barrel mounted sight, is better. Again a wide "buckhorn" and a round bead are liked by some but not by others. Beads tend to shoot away from a light source. A partridge front sight, that is a vertical parallel knife blade as on a service rifle and a square cut open rear sight notch won't shoot away from a light source.

+1 to the rear mounted peep.

A million SLR's and many more No 4's as well as the Sterling SMG, the Bren, the GPMG, most classic target rifles and all the tens of millions of other longarms probably prove something!

Back