Best 45-70 loads for wild boar in Scotland

diverdave1

Gents

anyone suggest a good 45-70 bullet combination for taking wild boar in Scotland ? Looking to please my local fire arms department who are reluctant to let me have it for shooting boar unless I can satisfy them with a bullet and powder combination to do the job.
I await your answers gents

Gents

anyone suggest a good 45-70 bullet combination for taking wild boar in Scotland ? Looking to please my local fire arms department who are reluctant to let me have it for shooting boar unless I can satisfy them with a bullet and powder combination to do the job.

About any good bullet will work. Do you have a speed in mind?~Muir

I have boar and wild pig for my Sharps carbine , I use 405gr hard cast lead in front of 28 gr Lovex do60 for about 1300 fps ,Accurate and plenty ooomph.Is your gun proofed for nitro ?

:old:

its trying to persuade them that the ft pounds are adequate for boar, that is the problem they say it should be the equivalent to a .270 which I find strange . The home office guide states that a 45-70 is deer legal here so I dont really see the problem. I can't find anything on what is adequate for boar in Scotland that will keep them happy.

About any good bullet will work. Do you have a speed in mind?~Muir

I have boar and wild pig for my Sharps carbine , I use 405gr hard cast lead in front of 28 gr Lovex do60 for about 1300 fps ,Accurate and plenty ooomph.Is your gun proofed for nitro ?

That's pretty much what I've used for a number of years on everything . It'll kill anything I've ever met, that being said, does it meet your legal requirements ? Not being a smart ass , I'm just a bit unsure how your legislators decide what is considered a deer capable cartridge .

AB

That's pretty much what I've used for a number of years on everything . It'll kill anything I've ever met, that being said, does it meet your legal requirements ? Not being a smart ass , I'm just a bit unsure how your legislators decide what is considered a deer capable cartridge .

AB

303 just makes it on reds ???? 1750 ft lbs and 2450 fps ??? .roe is much less but the velocity thing , stupid a it is , knocks a lot of the older cartridges with heavy bullets out of it .

I had a 6.5 x 54 MS that wouldn't make the legislative grade with factory loads - 160 gr at 2400 fps - not good enough !!

I am not sure if there is a velocity restriction on boar? but taken from another site i go on
Any commercial cast bullet that measures .460 with about 14gr of Unique will kill any hog and won't punish you. I'm sure others will come up with more powerful loads, I have one too. They just won't kill hog faster or better.

http://www.realguns.com/loads/4570cast.htm

Gents

This is a very interesting question Dave, if you think about it.

There's absolutely no doubt that the .45-70 cartridge with the right load in a modern rifle is quite capable of cleanly taking boar. However you mention Scotland.

Now as far as I know there is no legislation covering minimum calibres and energy levels for boar anywhere in the U.K. (guidance only). Scottish law sets minimum velocity levels for deer but don't mention boar. If the police were to adopt the quite unreasonable view that any rifle used in Scotland to shoot boar should at least be the equal of the minimum for large deer, then you could have a slight problem (stress could), because some loads may not reach the minimum velocity required. Just a thought and something to ponder.

However if they have any sense they will simply grant permission for the .45-70 rifle.

Your licensing dept are probably reading up on the first loads that appear in cartridges of the world (low power historic stuff) if they would read on they would find that the loads for modern rifles & powders would stop a land rover! I had to ask Ian F off here to "explain" the situation to Cheshire before I had the rifle so conditioned, Steve.

While I haven't crono'd mine I'm using 405grn cast bullet over 40 grs on IMR-4198.... Straight out of the Lyman book - 1648fps in a 24" barrel. (mine is a mite longer) Works a treat on paper ...

Thank you very much for your advise, if only my licencing had the same logic, I will keep trying though.
This is a very interesting question Dave, if you think about it.

There's absolutely no doubt that the .45-70 cartridge with the right load in a modern rifle is quite capable of cleanly taking boar. However you mention Scotland.

Now as far as I know there is no legislation covering minimum calibres and energy levels for boar anywhere in the U.K. (guidance only). Scottish law sets minimum velocity levels for deer but don't mention boar. If the police were to adopt the quite unreasonable view that any rifle used in Scotland to shoot boar should at least be the equal of the minimum for large deer, then you could have a slight problem (stress could), because some loads may not reach the minimum velocity required. Just a thought and something to ponder.

However if they have any sense they will simply grant permission for the .45-70 rifle.

Wow,

Can't believe this is even a concern. Bunch of Bison were taken in the 1870's with 45-70 caliber rifles. If it is only a permission to buy thing perhaps you should tell them you need it for squirrels.

SS

I'm getting 1920 fps (585.2 m/s) with a 350 soft point out of my .45-70. That's a muzzle energy of 2865 ftlbs (3896J) and there is still plenty of scope to load hotter than that. I only stopped because it already kicks like a mule.

.45-70 Loads for Boar

So muzzle energy is not a problem and is significantly higher than most .270 loads.

You'll struggle to get it deer legal in Scotland because of the minimum velocity rule but the muzzle energy and knock down power for boar is indisputable.

I'm using 27 gr RL7 behind a 405 hard cast bullet from Kranks -- it's plenty , as Muir said earlier "hand of god" , in my Sharps carbine .

Back