Is the .22WMR having a revival?!

stratts

Just curious really as a friend is applying for his FAC and we were discussing rifles at the shooting show. I have a WMR and our other mate has the HMR.

I love the extra punch of the WMR and (slightly) less wind movement along with the same cleaning gear as my other .22's and given that I zero at 90 yards I don't see the major advantage of the extra 10 or so yards for the HMR when bunny bashing. If you can't get that close to a rabbit then something's wrong.

BUT, I just checked around and on Gutrader and there aint many CZ WMR's around but over 240 HMR's. 12 months or so ago when I got mine I paid less than 200 quid for a mint factory screwcut, now they are over £400 and it seems the HMR is going down in price!!

What do you reckon? Could it also be the documented ammo issues I seem to see fairly regular with Hornady HMW rounds?

Just want to be sure I am giving the best advice to my mate and he aint gonna have to fork out a wedge for a bunny bashing rifle,

Stratts

If you're looking for US-made 22WMR you can sit back and read a good book. It won't be along any time too soon. I haven't seen any on the shelves in over a year and not because it's popular. (tho it should be) With munition makers concentrating on Government contracts, and the diversion of manufacturing capabilities in that direction, even the common 22LR is hard to find in the States... with 22WMR lagging far behind that. HMR is everywhere and cheap, but 22WMR is almost impossible to find.~Muir

Cheers Muir I better buy up a load of Remmi ammo here then just in case!!

Just checked Guntrader - 14 WMR's total compared to 443 HMR's!!

You have more there than we do.~Muir

I know 22lr and 22 mag ammo is hard to find down south , what I don't understand is why we have so much . I just picked up four boxes of Remington 22 mag for a buddy at $ 8 can a box . There is something funny going on with the distributors I think . Normally , if ammo is hard to find down your way Muir , its unobtainable here , hm.

AB

That's only 4 quid a box if it's the Rem 33gr ballistic tips!! I'm lucky to get them for £12 which is discounted from £14!! Another shop near me sells em for £19.50 a box of 50!!!!

I don't think its having a revival as such, it has never been a big seller over here.
But people who use one tend to keep them, I loved mine, but sold it when I wanted a CF as I
couldn't justify both, or so my FEO said :doh:

Neil. :)

I know 22lr and 22 mag ammo is hard to find down south , what I don't understand is why we have so much . I just picked up four boxes of Remington 22 mag for a buddy at $ 8 can a box . There is something funny going on with the distributors I think . Normally , if ammo is hard to find down your way Muir , its unobtainable here , hm.

AB

Maybe we have a bigger audience?? When I've seen Remington on the shelf it's been $14/50. I like Remington 22WMR. Not the fastest but consistently accurate and the 33 grain VM at 2150 fps has a fairly high BC. I have a brick of it in my basement, and a brick of my favorite Federal Classic 30 grain HP.~Muir

Let's hope so, someone might develop some new loads :D

Last year, two of my buddies got one, I have two ( one Has permanent nv on)

lovely accurate hard hitting rifle out to a hundred.

We had a little rumour last year Hornady were going to restrict manufacturing the round for a year, panic buying ensued but never been a shortage.

Really useful piece of kit, I believe the WMR is overlooked for the 223 or 204 simply because of the CF image and longer ranges , very very high percentage of foxes are less than a 100 yds. Perfect fodder for the WMR I will always have one Or two

i don't own a small cf rifle now. .22LR .22 WMR. 6.5 x55 and 308. Perfect all round for me the 6.5 I use for longer range foxing ie. over a 100.

Most foxes are by the WMR real only exception is lambing time, high seat and the 6.5 excels apart from that a real all round rifle calibre. I love em

atb

phil

I tried the Hornady rounds but my CZ hated them!! Groups Rem 33gr nicely so no worries and they are plentiful at the moment down here. My 1st ever fox fell to the WMR at about 70 yards straight between the eyes!! Deadly!!

I have a Winchester 9422M which is a cracking little rifle (tiny in comparison to some of the Bolt Action WMR's out there.

I could never bring myself to get it screw cut as it'll ruin the way it looks and feels, if I could hit anything past 30 yards with irons I would never have put a scope on it but unfortunatley i would have been useless with it without the scope!

I've shot a few foxes with it and its a great round.

regards,

Gixer

I have taken a few fox happily with a HMR but always head shots.When it comes to the WMR do folk have enough confidence in the round to take H&L shots with the calibre or is it stick to head shots like the HMR ? ATBMatt

I have taken a few fox happily with a HMR but always head shots.When it comes to the WMR do folk have enough confidence in the round to take H&L shots with the calibre or is it stick to head shots like the HMR ? ATBMatt

Only ever took H&L shots with the WMR (past tense as since I got the .222 it hasn't had much fox work!)
sub 100yds drops them just as it should

My 2p would be that the WMR is more versatile than the HMR, as it's great for foxes and will not pop the quarry. On the other hand I also love my HMR for surgical strikes at +100yard ranges for that satisfying shot in difficult no-ricochet places - lots of those in and around Cornish granite hedges where I shoot. So both are worth a punt and I will keep both of mine in CZ American with mags that always feed and not much weight on my back - or wallet, compared with the .222 boys.

Back