Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ramshot

Well I finally got around to testing the 7mm WSM on Ramshot Magnum powder today, the original idea was to take Potman (Steve) for a bit of a walk around & have a look for the Canada's to blat with the .223's, Just got into the quarry & what a sight, around 80 of them pathering over the re instated area, I slowly halted the Landy, switched off & got Steve on the front wing....crack, one nice fat goose to help fill out the game pie!& the rest take the hint & leave, double result! So something to fill in the time till dusk when lamping can commence, up with the targets ,out with the chrony & on with the can,starting load 71.0 grains under a Nosler BT 140gn, 9 rounds & 4fps variation later for a 2800 fps reading, four rounds almost inseparable, the other five very tight in close, primers were looking a little flattened, so will back off 0.02 grains & have another shoot, a quick look through the bore, no signs of dirty burning & nice clean obturation on the necks, so pack up & go to the farm with the unwelcome visitor, after a few sweeps with the lamp here she comes, just whisperering to Steve, wait , wait, OK 200, next time she stops........crack, early bath!

Where did you get the Ramshot?

My buddy heard about the stock clearance at The Bog (Minsterely), & we clubbed together & cleared it out, Griff had some to try, but could'nt get on with it, so I clawed that case back too! Don't think I'll be needing to buy anything in the powder line for the 7mm/.270 before the barrels are shot out! Steve.

why did you pick the 7wsm over the other available calibres thanx

I was very interested in the talk on the powder column burn data, a mate got one, I tried it, sold me on it, a very long reaching flat shooter, with a very hefty punch from the 162 grain pill, some long range shooters in the states are building comp winners on this cartridge, not a chance in hell of this one going obsolete (contrary to rumour mongers) brass is a bit difficult to get, but I have some necked .300 WSM to top up my stock. This Howa also likes Vit powders. Steve. 8)

Had a call from Potman, he tried his Ramshot ladder charges I made for his 6.5x55 Swede this weekend, I also measured the chamber & set his die back to 10 thou off, his rifle is cloverleafing at 100 mtrs with a very conservative charge of this powder. result. 8)

Still got time on my hands , so went to the "range" this morning with some more Ramshot charges in the 7mm WSM, I think I found the point that I should stop with 140 grain Amax, 71.50 grains Ramshot Magnum CCI Magnum primer, still a fairly tight grouping of 2" @ 100yds considering the load is really too hot, primer looked like it was part of the head! So it's back on with the ladder charges using 162 grain Amax.

try different primers, Jon got great results in just changing the primers and leaving the load alone..

Thanks Neil, I just made up a fresh batch of twenty cases with standard rifle primers, hoping this will tighten the group up completely, Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!