30 grn Hornady .22 WMR

Overlay

Hi Guys. (This is probably in the wrong place or thread)

anyone throw any light on this one, .22 WMR bullet expansion

Out on a removal at the moment three in the bag

first one 40 yds. A runner. H&L shot placement Round In and out

second one 50 odd yards A runner. H&L shot placement Round in and out

third one 96 yds (rangefinder) Absolutely kaputt dropped to the shot. H&L shot placement round stayed just in

my wire retrieved foxes one and two 25 yds and approx 40 yds from shot placement in thick undergrowth, keeps him happy, but not good to have 2/3 rds running off.

just examined the three shot placements and they are within an inch of each other, all the foxes are about the same stamp, not stressed or aware of me being close by

Hornady 30 Grn BT I'm having a job to believe they perform as well as they say, it seems (I've had a few runners) close up ones, the round appears it doesn't like to expand at close quarters but over 60 yds perfect.

anyone else found any similar characteristics, I love the round, so does the rifle, sub three quarters of an inch a 100 inherently accurate, best of a bunch I've tried, rifle is a sako quad varmint.

I think I shall be going to pin the close ones now to hopefully enforce expansion ?

be interested to hear if anyone has found a similar situation

cheers

phil

cci maxi mag 40grain is a much better round ime. That's the weigh/type of bullet that gives 22wmr its reputation of a rimfire with real knockdown power. ||Swapped my win mag for 17hmr 3 years ago but miss it and may go back the two are very different and if I were shooting more at foxes than crows the win mag with 40grain bullet is much better choice.
But 2 out of 3 underperforming shots you just had would make me go back to 40grain and forget fancy tipped bullets for heavier target species.

shot placement kudos aside (I would also always take a body shot if side on regardless of distance)

only body shot runners I have had went no more than 10-20yds before keeling over, most just stumbled within a yard or two

not used hornady 33gr but have used Remington/CCi in 30/33/34 IIRC

Agree that more weight is usually a better option, the 33's are much quicker (300fps) but the energy advantage is lost within a few metres and they match the 40gr out to 60-70yds then the 40gr loads carry more energy over that range

Thanks Guys

Removed another at 04:00 at 45 yds pinned it and didn't move an inch and no exit point.

I will source the CCI rounds and give them a run, my aim (excuse the pun) is to reduce the round exiting if possible, hence H&L placement, pinning the shot is a good option but mostly the H&L is the best one available.

i try and reduce ricochet, although the back stop is always good, I avoid head shots with the WMR if it's face on I normally place the shot for lower neck into the H&L area, no exit normally meets up with spine really good stopping placement

the Hornady 30 grn I find are really stable in flight, would the 40 grn be a little more into elevation at a 100. 25% extra I have my WMR set at 100 centre, it places the round inch low at 35 yds,it is a pretty reliable round in my quad.

thanks to all for the info, appreciated

phil

I used the 30gr VMax when I had a 22WMR (also a Sako Quad), great round and didn't experience any problems with expansion but with bunnies it did just drill right through.

May it have been that you were unlucky on the entry and didn't hit anything substantial to force the expansion?

Hi Ths
Had one last night 90 yds pinned through the shoulder didn't move an inch with the Hornady. Have located a 500 round batch of CCI 40 grn. Also Managed to get a box of 40 grn , re zeroed and out tonight, to see what's if it goes ok will swap over for a while

atb

phil

I've had no runners with H/L shots with Remington 33-grain polymer tips, except for one I hit a bit far back, raking the liver and just clipping the rear of the offside lung. That ran, until another round caught up with him (semi-auto).

Like the OP, I suspect, I use the light polymer-tipped rounds more for accuracy than for their terminal ballistics, betting on shot placement over fragmentation. I don't think a heavier round would fragment more, or even give better penetration, and IME it would be less accurate.

If ranges are short, however, there's no harm in giving a heavier load a go as even a 2" group at 50m will do the job, and the worst of them probably shoots better than that.

Hi Mr Gain

The Hornady round is certainly accurate, when I first got the WMR, done the usual, purchased as many different rounds as possible, read up on speeds and accuracy data, the Hornady were certainly a lot more accurate than some, and slightly faster, I took the Hornady on board for accuracy and it read well on ballistics, as the original thread I have had runners from day one on short range.

My quad didn't go a bunch on the Remington ammo on accuracy if I remember correctly

Nothing desperate as my wire runs an efficient track and collection service, if you can drag him out of the slumber :zzz:pit.

dont mind the odd one that's Sod's law

i have 40 grn in the rifle now awaiting my first customer of the evening.

Atb

phil

Last edited:
How did that go? Any joy?

yep pretty good, apart from the rain :doh:

First one H&L. Circa 35 yds. Crumpled on the spot. Exit point

second one H&L. 65 yds. Stumbled Two feet no exit point

First two with the 40grn. Seems to be on the money, out tonight and Friday, when I get a minute on Saturday going to do some range variance in comparison to 30 and 40grn rounds. Get used to the difference in the round distances.

overall may be the answer if the accuracy is ok at variable distances

cheers

phil

Last edited:
by coincidence I rezeroed my WMR last night having not used it for a while
checked my ammo that I had been using on foxes

its 33gr Remington Accutip-V (semi ballistic tipped jacketed rounds, clocking 2100fps)

from memory I can't recall any runners with the exception of one that went ten yards when i shot him at 15 yds but slightly off where I was aiming to.
rarely got exits but thats a good thing in my book

Using 40 grn CCI.

Removed three more last night 1 @90 yds H&L crumpled on the spot

second one 80 yds H&L crumpled on the spot

third one for sniper247 thread command :D ( the curiosity got the better of me ). Placed a head shot at 75 yds. Vapourise comes to mind

Won't be doing that again, shots one and two no exit. Perfic

seems we are back to normal. :)

Bewsher. How did you find the grouping on the remmy ammo, my quad doesn't like em, sub inch and half @ 70 yds at best, I do clean the barrel. Honest :D

ATB

Phil

Last edited:
Bewsher. How did you find the grouping on the remmy ammo, my quad doesn't like em, sub inch and half @ 70 yds at best, I do clean the barrel. Honest :D

Clean it?!
I don't!

not a conclusive 10 shot group test but I have to say I wish zeroing was this easy every time

about 90 odd yds of the top of the car in the dark with a slight Scottish breeze left to right
2 shots landed off to the right and down...touching holes
after I altered the scope I had 1 more "check" shot..

seems fine....:D

Clean it?!
I don't!

not a conclusive 10 shot group test but I have to say I wish zeroing was this easy every time

about 90 odd yds of the top of the car in the dark with a slight Scottish breeze left to right
2 shots landed off to the right and down...touching holes
after I altered the scope I had 1 more "check" shot..

seems fine....:D

Thats what the Hornady group like in mine, really good accurate round ( with or without a clean) :rofl:

Using 40 grn CCI.

Removed three more last night 1 @90 yds H&L crumpled on the spot

second one 80 yds H&L crumpled on the spot

third one for sniper247 thread command :D ( the curiosity got the better of me ). Placed a head shot at 75 yds. Vapourise comes to mind

Won't be doing that again, shots one and two no exit. Perfic

seems we are back to normal. :)

ATB

Phil

Don't clean your rifle and it will shoot better.
I like the Remington. The bullet has the highest BC of all except for the Federal 40 grain FMJ. I have seven 22WMR's and the only one that definitely does not like the Remingtons is my Marlin 882SSV heavy barrel stainless. ~Muir

Back