375 zeroing approval

Understood. I originally asked for the 375 as we have boar here and thought it would be an accepted caliber, didn't give shooting abroad as a reason... The cert arrived through the post giving me permission to acquire and shoot abroad but no permission to zero in the UK. I suppose my original question as per the thread was could I zero the rifle here in the UK and at a later date get the land I live on approved for said zeroing?

I'll hazard a guess that following receipt of your application someone in the FLD looked up .375 in the table at the end of Chapter 13 of the HO Guide, and found it listed against Dangerous Game and then applied the advice given that, "The purpose of this table is as a guide to establish initial “good reason”. They then worked backwards to the paragraphs the table should be read in conjunction with, applied 13.18, and ended up at 13.35 - 13.37 'Overseas Use' for Big or Dangerous Game.

As a paper exercise all perfectly correct - but sadly ignoring your reason for acquiring on the application completely.

A face-to-face meeting with the FLD manager would probably sort it all out - but from the look of the other current conditions on your FAC it might not end up to your advantage. I'd suggest working towards getting your FAC opened up generally would be first priority.

PS. They could also use the correct AOLQ condition advised by ACPO instead of sticking their own, "subject to the suitability of the calibre", rider in there. Who decides on the 'suitability' of a 'calibre', DEFRA, the RSPCA, LACS? Potential can of worms there I think. Why can't they stop themselves from tinkering with something that is perfectly workable?:confused:

Last edited:
375? Pah! Tomorrow I'm applying for 338 lap mag and 50 cal, to heck with these measly 30 cals. When I'm questioned about my reasoning I'll just refer them to the forum! Home and dry!

Don't stop there - an 84mm Charlie G will do a much better job around the hen house!

Seriously though, many FLDs appear to be unable to accept that once initial good reason has been established for possession of a firearm, then there should be no restriction on using it on 'lesser' quarry. There's no such thing as overkill and the safety in use and security considerations remain the same, so where is the issue?

Using a .375 on AOLQ probably illustrates an extreme but I've come across a situation where an applicant for a .308 for use on boar abroad was informed by his FLD that he couldn't have it conditioned for deer in the UK because he already had a .270! Where's the sense in that?

Licence the person and don't stick restrictive, unworkable and unwarranted conditions on the firearms they lawfully possess.

Thanks everyone for the comments, I'm due for my 2nd certificate in a years time (subject to the renewal going through!) what would you rate my % chances of getting it opened up.

Have lots of photographic evidence of deer i've shot and other beasts, hundreds of 300win and 1000's of 223 rounds purchased and used -5ish trip abroad for larger game species. Any hard and fast rule on the opening up of certificate or is it a rather arbitrary measure?

Understood. I originally asked for the 375 as we have boar here and thought it would be an accepted caliber, didn't give shooting abroad as a reason... The cert arrived through the post giving me permission to acquire and shoot abroad but no permission to zero in the UK. I suppose my original question as per the thread was could I zero the rifle here in the UK and at a later date get the land I live on approved for said zeroing?

A permission for boar and AOLQ would be nice!

Then simply send it back and tell them to amend it.

There are two prescribed conditions for rifles that can only be used abroad and they have given you the more restrictive one of the two. Just tell them you want the other one.

5. Overseas Use
• The *calibre RIFLE shall be carried only when proceeding to or returning from a port of
embarkation. It shall not be fired in Great Britain.
or
• The *calibre RIFLE and ammunition shall be carried when proceeding to or returning from a port
of embarkation and may be zeroed with non-expanding ammunition in Great Britain on ranges
which are legally and safely constructed and maintained.

Thanks everyone for the comments, I'm due for my 2nd certificate in a years time (subject to the renewal going through!) what would you rate my % chances of getting it opened up.

Have lots of photographic evidence of deer i've shot and other beasts, hundreds of 300win and 1000's of 223 rounds purchased and used -5ish trip abroad for larger game species. Any hard and fast rule on the opening up of certificate or is it a rather arbitrary measure?

I'm curious, have you actually spoken to your FEO, and told him that you wanted the 375 to shoot boar in the UK, as well as using it abroad ? Assuming this is what you put on your request ?

I'm convinced that a big percentage of peoples problems, are down to how they apply, and write the covering letter. I'm not certain how a 9.3 x 74r, or a .338 are perceived against a .375, but I applied for both, and both were granted, open, boar + AOLQ.

Assuming you do have boar on land you have permission to shoot, and I think it's common knowledge that there are boar in the Sussex area, I would speak to your FEO, and explain the situation, and see what he says. If you home load for any of your rifles (I would suggest home loading for a rifle makes it very difficult for them not to allow you to at the very least zero in the UK !) it would be worth starting !

You have nothing to lose, but assuming you made a copy of your application, I would read over it, and see what you requested. Then I would put down on paper exactly why you requested/good reason for the rifle, so when you speak to the FEO, you have it very clear, and can put it across.

On my recent FAC Renewal I also applied for a .375 H&H. I have an 'open' ticket and already have .22 calibres plus .22.250 .243 and 30.06.

I was very clear with my FEO at the interview and stipulated that this was both for use abroad but for use in the UK on Boar and Forest Reds, plus zeroing. My FEO seemed fine with this at the time, however, my certificate came back and I found it had the 'carried only when proceeding to or returning from a port of embarkation. It shall not be fired in Great Britain' condition.

I have since found two ranges that are covered up to 50 cals that I can use. I have spoken to my FEO and I will be granted the zeroing condition when I provide proof of this.Furthermore if i can provide proof that the local police to the Boar ground will approve the ground then i will get that added as well.

If you look at the firearms guidance it states that once good reason has been established for the use of a 375 it can be used for deer in this Country. You have done so. Now it is time to to point this out to the FEO, you only need one named piece of suitable land. Call me 07554 030723 Tom I am in East Sussex

Back