Boar have moved in

I assume this chappie is an escapee from Glen Dessary?

I often think that our woods, even the "commercial" ones, would be much better for a few od these.

Hard to tell but he looks less than two years, 50kg seems about correct, there must be others about. If he is doing that much harm, time to take him out.

Well, I can't get him into the back of the pickup on my own so il need to get some help in morning.

No fat unfortunately, I was hoping to eat him.

Dan, well done getting your beast. They can be a hand full to load in truck on your own. Wild boar are rarely fat especially this time of year. My butcher adds belly pork to the sausage mix o great effect. Don't let that put you off, I'm sure it will be delicious.

What did he weigh in the end?

Don't forget to get it trichinella tested before tucking in. http://multimedia.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/trichinellatestingwildboar.pdf

ATB

Penyard
many thanks for the link, il do that. Seems more chance of winning lottery that getting ill but you never know.

He came in larder door at 82kg with the gralloch out him. Bloody awkward to handle, I've thrown 100kg stags in the pickup on my own but this was different.

I was lent some night vision gear from a member on here and it worked a peach, IR converted Go-light on the roof connected to an LCD screen for spotting it then scope mounted NV for despatch.

It never knew I was there.

Hes got a nice set of small tusks.

WOW, that's not the same one as the vid. its twice the size.

Now your needing some very large freezer space for that one

not jealous, no not at all,
Seems you've got the technique cracked anyway, roll on the next one

WOW, that's not the same one as the vid. its twice the size.

Wouldn't be so sure it wasn't the same beast...

As said tusks were visible so probly at least few years of age. Judgind size is very difficult, if the size of the barrel in video was known then it's a bit easier.

Congrats to Dan.

Yep I'm pretty sure it's the same pig, same size and similar character, quite jumpy, comes from the same place each night and has the same routine when he feeds, I've been getting footage on the camera since New Years Day so I know it quite well.

Last edited:
Dan, well done getting your beast. They can be a hand full to load in truck on your own. Wild boar are rarely fat especially this time of year. My butcher adds belly pork to the sausage mix o great effect. Don't let that put you off, I'm sure it will be delicious.

What did he weigh in the end?

Don't forget to get it trichinella tested before tucking in. http://multimedia.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/trichinellatestingwildboar.pdf

ATB

Penyard[/QUOTE
+1 Most important to get the trichinella test.

Shame he had to be shot, if you had not been feeding him then he probably would not have hung around and been damaging fences in the vicinity.

Well done Dan. Could you tell me what shot placement you went for? My in-laws have a boar making a proper mess of their garden and want it taking out and I've never shot one before so any advice appreciated.

Well done Dan. Could you tell me what shot placement you went for? My in-laws have a boar making a proper mess of their garden and want it taking out and I've never shot one before so any advice appreciated.
Il probably get shot with **** for saying this but I shot him in the nut.

after all, he was destined for the table!

Back