Dogs off the leads

dully1963

Hi
Anybody know if its within the law to release my dogs of the lead if the are been attacked by other dogs that are not on the lead ?

just to let you know the tale on several occasions while out walking the terriers they have been nipped at by an A###holes dogs that are never on the lead when asked to put them on the lead he says its okay they wont hurt them but it stresses them out . Now I always put my two on the lead on seeing any other dogs as they dont play well with other and as these are working dogs they are a little hard mouthed . So my question is why should I handicap my dogs by holding them back on the lead when this tosser with his vislas dose not seem care am I justified in letting the terriers have go ?

Agree with Morgy.

You would both be committing the offence of failing to control you dog in a public place. Take out your ire on the owner and report them.

Had this problem twice last year and its easily solved... just walk your dogs elsewhere or a different time.

Keep your dog on the lead but if things look as if they are going to get dangerous eg fighting and tangled let go not worth putting your self in danger.

Borrow your mates bull terrier keep it on a lead let the other dogs have a go and watch them squeal, the owners soon learn a lesson. It is a pet hate of mine when your dog is well mannered and on the lead to keep it safe and others with aggresive dogs let them off. I purchased a great stick off brewsher off the site and had a tungsten tip on the end that keeps them away.

Have had a similar event. A yorkshire terrier and a terrier sized cross breed both off the lead ran towards my two which were on the lead, one went for each dog. The yorkie bit my dog on the jowl who immediately killed it I dropped the lead on my bitch so she was free and got my dog to give me the yorkie. My bitch chased the mongrel a short distance and cam back. The owner accused me of setting my dogs on his, when he got aggressive my dog went to protect me and I had to hold him back, he the said I had set them on him. 40 minutes later at home two police cars showed up and the officers started trowing accusations about rather than ask questions. A police dog handler turned up and was brilliant he handled me, his colleagues and my dogs really well. After tense few moments it was clear we did not have any thing to worry about as my dogs were on leads and had collars and name tags unlike the other two. Dropping the lead was fine but it may have been viewed differently if I had let either off as they may have been considered to not have been under control.

Last edited:
ive had it, been walking and seen some one, so have said " can you put your dog on the lead please?" thay have replied with " its fine my dog wont hurt" so I then reply with " but mine might" that usually works.

The mother in law used to have a greyhound that had been found wandering (in Norfolk) seemed to have been a lost coursing dog, anyway it came home with her and stayed many years.

One day whilst walking, on the lead, a Yorkie went past and the greyhound decided she didn't like the look of it. One snap of her jaws crushed the yorkies skull like an egg. Oops....:oops:

The mother in law used to have a greyhound that had been found wandering (in Norfolk) seemed to have been a lost coursing dog, anyway it came home with her and stayed many years.

One day whilst walking, on the lead, a Yorkie went past and the greyhound decided she didn't like the look of it. One snap of her jaws crushed the yorkies skull like an egg. Oops....:oops:

Greyhounds are notorious for their hatred of anything smaller...

Hi
Anybody know if its within the law to release my dogs of the lead if the are been attacked by other dogs that are not on the lead ?

just to let you know the tale on several occasions while out walking the terriers they have been nipped at by an A###holes dogs that are never on the lead when asked to put them on the lead he says its okay they wont hurt them but it stresses them out . Now I always put my two on the lead on seeing any other dogs as they dont play well with other and as these are working dogs they are a little hard mouthed . So my question is why should I handicap my dogs by holding them back on the lead when this tosser with his vislas dose not seem care am I justified in letting the terriers have go ?

I find its the dog day care brigade that have caused me grief on two separate occasions . It's like something outof a winilot ad, ten dogs bounding ahead of so called responsible individual and mob my dogs on their leads.My two borders are very sociable but on two separate occasions the alpha male of the pack has over stepped the mark and my younger dog gets the red mist. A chocolate lab with a border swinging from its ear can make a fair din.
The doggy walker only concerned what is she going to tell the owner of the lab with the chewed ear.

ive had it, been walking and seen some one, so have said " can you put your dog on the lead please?" thay have replied with " its fine my dog wont hurt" so I then reply with " but mine might" that usually works.

I do exactly the same - my (rescue) dog does NOT get on with other dogs, but he does get on well with my ferrets!

dont try letting your terrier scrap a visular , i dont care how hard you think he is , the big dog could kill it easily . I keep working terriers and i wouldnt walk them in a public area , they wont fight other dogs but if they get seen about it wont be long before i get a knock on the door

I find its the dog day care brigade that have caused me grief on two separate occasions . It's like something outof a winilot ad, ten dogs bounding ahead of so called responsible individual and mob my dogs on their leads.My two borders are very sociable but on two separate occasions the alpha male of the pack has over stepped the mark and my younger dog gets the red mist. A chocolate lab with a border swinging from its ear can make a fair din.
The doggy walker only concerned what is she going to tell the owner of the lab with the chewed ear.

i had similar but a collie cross...my border on the lead and collie cross comes over, curled lip and doing the low down stalking thing...I asked the owner to put it on a lead but he insisted that the dog was not aggressive...it was obvious what was coming and it launched at my boy, luckily he was aware what was happening and he side stepped it and grabbed it on the way past and ragged it's ear good and proper and I had a job getting him off. They had a little bit of a scrap and the bigger dog realised the error of his ways....as did the owner when I expressed my displeasure at his lack of control over his unpleasant dog. Worst bit was I started to strip my border the following day and only when he was reacting more so than normal did I realise he had a large cut on his shoulder, presumably from the scrap. He now really really hates collies.

Agree with Morgy.

You would both be committing the offence of failing to control you dog in a public place. Take out your ire on the owner and report them.

I know from experience reporting the owner is a total waste of time. My dog was attacked by a rotty cross a few months ago, running wild, owner had no control. I defended my dog as he is a small cocker and thumped six shades out the rotty cross.

As far as I was concerned this dog was dangerous to both myself and my dog. The owner was very sheepish and has been very quick to get his dog on a lead when he sees us on our usual walk now. Problem solved.

It could well be if this guys dogs get a nip it puts them off and teaches him a valuable lesson.

Hi

Terriers, Vizslas,German Shepherds,Toy Poodles,Dachsunds:rofl: whatever you like all I know is my dogs have incured a few vets bills by tossers having other breeds off the leads. Every Vizsla I have owned has not enjoyed confrontation or being bitten and neither have the other dogs owners when I told them to get them on a lead and give me a phone number to pass on the bill, they always declined.

Any dog that comes near mine in an aggresive way will get a swift size 10 to chops/ribs or a stick. But some owners havenae got a clue. Luckily i tend to walk dogs out in middle of nowhere, but have had 1 bad incident when a cross thing had my lab pinned down by throat, fortunately no damage

Know of 1 story down foreshore where u would not expect to have problems like this, 1 lab got a bit close to a lads chessie, chessie picked lab up and give it a good proper ragging, owner of lab tried to break the chessie off, its owner took exception and battered the lab owner too.
Aggressive breeds and agressive owners necer make a good combo

Any dog that comes near mine in an aggresive way will get a swift size 10 to chops/ribs or a stick. But some owners havenae got a clue. Luckily i tend to walk dogs out in middle of nowhere, but have had 1 bad incident when a cross thing had my lab pinned down by throat, fortunately no damage

Know of 1 story down foreshore where u would not expect to have problems like this, 1 lab got a bit close to a lads chessie, chessie picked lab up and give it a good proper ragging, owner of lab tried to break the chessie off, its owner took exception and battered the lab owner too.
Aggressive breeds and agressive owners necer make a good combo

I bet the owners name was Mr R.Ottweiler as well.:rofl: Not meant to offend any Rotty owners though, have met some that have been as soft as they come.

Back