basc/bds

With SACS
& Why Because it is better cover and only £44.00 for a joint membership for me and Emma to be insured as a couple

as bds and BASC want over £100

SGA £30.00. Used to be both SGA and BASCbut decided for what we get from BASC it was not £62 well spent.
Jim

tolley said:
who are you with or may be some another and why.

was with the BASC

My wildfowling club was with WAGBI/BASC from the 1950s, but went over to the Countryside Alliance last year.
BDS would seem the be the one for stalkers, but, locally anyway, they seem to have attracted more than a few poachers/ex-poachers to their ranks.
The St Hubert Club is another club for stalkers.
It all gets a bit political with so many well-paid jobs for people with the gift of the gab and all the people at the top trying to keep their positions/salaries, shooting invites, expenses etc.

My wildfowling club was with WAGBI/BASC from the 1950s, but went over to the Countryside Alliance last year.
BDS would seem the be the one for stalkers, but, locally anyway, they seem to have attracted more than a few poachers/ex-poachers to their ranks.
It all gets a bit political with so many well-paid jobs for people with the gift of the gab and all the people at the top trying to keep their positions/salaries, shooting invites, expenses etc. Could not have said it better myself! :confused:

NGO..
because they don't rob you blind and with 10 million public liability and at £20 a years membership what more could i want.

BASC wanted some £40 and for what they offer and how they stand up for what we believe in i would never join as long as ive an hole in my a*se

Changed to SACS this year, very nice people, realistically priced and does not seemed riddled with "jobsworth" types.

John

SGA for me reasonable cost and not the old boys club like the BDS and not run as a busness like BASC who i think want your cash for little work for the average shooter and if it seems as if it.ll cost them they will drop you like a hot stone and to complyant with plod and can be full of mis-information that can land you in hot water,yes had enough of them,spineless greedy worms. (not but for my first rant of the year,yes i enjoyed that.}

finnbear270 said:
It all gets a bit political with so many well-paid jobs for people with the gift of the gab and all the people at the top trying to keep their positions/salaries, shooting invites, expenses etc. Could not have said it better myself! :confused:

just about covers it for me too. Although I'm a member of both the NGO and CA.

I do both as I believe they both do an excellent job and that the CA is the only one that fights to protect all country sports.

If we are going to survive the forth coming onslaught from the animal protectionist we need to stand together under one umbrella organisation, pool the financial resources, reduce the duplicated operating costs, and enter the political arena with as big a cohesive membership as possible.

If you put 0.5million vote casting members into a political lobby every politician would have to take notice as it would mean the difference between being elected to government or not.

I just wish we had something along the lines of the French Hunters Organisation or the American NRA. With the leaders prepared to us their political muscle.

I was a member of WAGBI and obviously moved over to BASC when it was formed from WAGBI. I have been a Life Member of the BDS for about 20 years.

I let my subscription to BASC go two years ago when I became concerned over some of their policies and realised that they would not support members in police cases where there was likely to be a big cost attached.

On the face of it it would be good to see a genuine umbrella organisation as the Government like talking to one representative group. I think the BDS get the nod on deer issues but the shooting interests are a bit split at the moment.

There is a lesson to be learned from angling where the Angling Trust was set up to do just that but the fact that the Northern Irish, Welsh and Scottish Governments want to talk to their own national representative bodies undermined this and the Angling Trust has ended up being an England only organisation and barely hanging on financially after only one year of existence.

JTO said:

A little of topic but another place the poachers/ex-poachers/ex-dogmen are starting to show their faces is with the new deer managements groups that are being formed around the country, in a desperate attempt to gain access to places where previously due to their reputations and nefarious activities they would have been denied. I suppose they also feel that claiming to be part of a legitimate management group it gives them a degree of credibility with those more gullible landowners they approach to try and gain stalking for themselves where previously they would have been turned away at the first gate.

Hmmm I am looking for a new home as I let my own BASC membership lapse, yes I was dissallusioned with them, was not particularly impressed with the BDS as one poster put it too much of an old boys club and I don't fit not being of the grammer or public school background ;)

I am sorry to say that I don't know of some of these other organisations, of course the NGO is not open to me not being a gamekeeper :( , the Scottish outfit seem to be only for Scotland and NI so I wonder who that leaves.

Greed

I have to say talking from my own experience whilst I was a member with BASC, I needed advice on a legal matter, I got involved in a court case some years ago, being accused of assult.

I was concerned about were I stood with my FAC and Shotgun certificates, so I called BASC for some advice, I was very dissapointed, basically they were not interested, and advised to get a solicitor.

Has it happened the case was dropped and I was cleared, now I am a member of SGA, and have been so for about 8 years.

I think BASC are being a little greedy, when you see BASC advisors driving round in new 4 wheel drives, it makes you wonder were the money from your membership payments are going, about 4 years ago there was an event organised on the estate were I pick up, all the BASC advisors stopped in the hotel on the estate golf course, maybe they are getting a little greedy.

If they are not careful they may soon be wondering were all there members have gone ?

NGO for me too, run by people who are at grass roots level ( keepers and stalkers) dont rip you off and give good value for money.

shame they had a bit of bad press just recently with one of there deer branch members, dont think any one saw that one coming !

Lots of people say they join BASC for the insurance and to be legal on Crown Foreshore.
On another forum, a BASC man said that only £10 of the sub goes toward insurance.
(a)What sort of insurance do you expect for £10 a year.
(b)What is the rest spent on?
Lots of expensive non-toxic cartridges, for evaluation purposes?

I lost faith in BASC, first when it changed it's name to appease political correctness, and secondly when Dr John Harradine got up at a wildfowling conference and declared that he found no difference between shooting with steel or lead shot. Perhaps he missed with both!

Never have been, nor ever will be a member of BASC. I am a member of BDS for reasons I dont want to go into. Went away from their insurance due to the expense and joined SGA with that money and add another few quid for their yearly full membership and insurance.

Cheers

SACS Business membership. etc etc costs Peanuts!

Taking out paying Clients, I have to have suitable cover. NON of the big boys will extend the liability cover as soon as money changes hands. THose that do, suggest ridiculous annual premiums.

Rgds

Ian :)

BASC because they have the clout and all the others may "offer cheap insurance" but so what! Might as well join the NRA as a "Country Member" if that's all you want from a national shooting organisation.

The lead and non-lead argument was always going to be lost. Anybody that thinks otherwise is deluding themselves. At least BASC ensured it had limited application.

In some European countries I believe that it is banned totally? And not banned for anything at all in others? But being UK we were always going to get the sharp end of it!

BDS? You're having a laugh! The body that actually told Douglas Hogg in 1987 that self-loading (such as the Browning) or pump-action rifles (such as the Remington) "were not necessary for deer stalking" for any disabled stalker?

Back