Relocating 'stray or lost' cats.

teabag_46

I suspect a similar question may have been posted on here in the past - having some problems with cats in my garden, and looked into (non lethal) ways of discouraging them from visiting.
Looking at various methods, motion detecting sprays, hoses, 'smell' deterrents etc. and the associated costs, I realised that it would be ME paying to control an animal that belongs to SOMEBODY else; and why should the cost be borne only by me?
If the owner(s) of these cats cannot, or will not modify the behaviour of 'Tiddles', then why should I be forced to be the only one out of pocket?
If I cage trap these cats, (which I do not own, feed, or encourage onto my property) and then take them to the local animal rescue center (unharmed), which will then charge the 'responsible' owner to be reunited with their pet, will I be breaking any laws, and if so, which laws?

I have used one of them ultrasonic repellants.
£30 job from BandQ.
Worked a treat. You could see the neighbourhood cats crossing the road and running past my drive way to avoid it when it was turned on!

I had the same problem years ago when the next doors cat kept killing my cage birds, after many arguments with the owner and ending up in the Police station myself more than once the talking to a Solicitor, i was told the cat can do what ever it likes and it is up to me to protect my belongings so the cat can not damage it.This was even after the cat was sat it it's garden with a Canary in it's mouth.There is an end to this Story but it can not be posted on here, all i will say is the rest of my Birds lived a long and Happy life.

I tried one of them but it upset the Neighbours wife the other side of me as it played hell with her hearing aid .

Yeah, I've seen them working Scubadog, but what I am asking, is, why should the people who do not own these cats, have to be the ones that pay to keep them off their property, whilst the actual owners bear no financial burden for controlling their animals?

I shoot on a nearby safari park estate and the lion poo via a watering can round your perimiter does not fail.

Hmmm....an interesting one this.
I knew a bloke caught them in a trap, pi$$ed on them a couple of times while in the trap and was never bothered by the same cat again. I believe when released, the cat was in the next county a few seconds later & hopefully sat in front of a warm fire back at his owners house eventually.
Have no idea if this action is legal/illegal....though I suspect 'intentionally' trapping cats is illegal. Perhaps someone out there knows?

Hmmm....an interesting one this.
I knew a bloke caught them in a trap, pi$$ed on them a couple of times while in the trap and was never bothered by the same cat again. I believe when released, the cat was in the next county a few seconds later & hopefully sat in front of a warm fire back at his owners house eventually.
Have no idea if this action is legal/illegal....though I suspect 'intentionally' trapping cats is illegal. Perhaps someone out there knows?

2 buckets of cold water over the moggy before release may also work ;)

2 buckets of cold water over the moggy before release may also work ;)

Probably will greatly assist too, but if I were to do it, I'd be inclined to pour the water first.....just to allow greater 'soakage' of urine eh! ATB

I had the same problem years ago when the next doors cat kept killing my cage birds, after many arguments with the owner and ending up in the Police station myself more than once the talking to a Solicitor, i was told the cat can do what ever it likes and it is up to me to protect my belongings so the cat can not damage it.This was even after the cat was sat it it's garden with a Canary in it's mouth.There is an end to this Story but it can not be posted on here, all i will say is the rest of my Birds lived a long and Happy life.

A solicitor friend told me something similar. The way the law looks at cats and dogs as regards owner accountability and responsibility is entirely different.

Either get a GWP and keep him in the garden or get some gooseberries. Gooseberries from a catapult work very well, but only if frozen.

i got told of this a few years back and was told it is for sale comercialy under the name of ' ROAR ' , i kid you not !

I found this on one of the online legal information sites................

[h=3]What can’t I do?[/h]You should not do anything to harm a cat. Under the Protection of Animals Act 1911 it is a criminal offence to cruelly beat, kick, ill-treat, torture, infuriate or terrify any animal. It is also a criminal offence under the Protection of Animals Act 1911 and the Animal Welfare Act 2006 to administer poison, injurious drugs or substances to an animal. Under the Animal Welfare Act 2005 it is a criminal offence to allow an animal protected by the act to suffer unnecessarily. Cats are protected by the Act.
A cat is treated by the law as goods and, therefore, the taking of a cat from its owner will amount to theft. You should not, therefore, steal any cat on or caught fouling on your land.

get some freeze dried lion **** from red dot ,thaw it out in water butt then spray it every where, if neibhours moan tell them its for your daffodils ,word of warning tho you will have to curtail the b b q s for a while .ps pick a red hot day for spraying enjoy, I f*****g hate moggies more than midges.doug.

I found this on one of the online legal information sites................

What can’t I do?

You should not do anything to harm a cat. Under the Protection of Animals Act 1911 it is a criminal offence to cruelly beat, kick, ill-treat, torture, infuriate or terrify any animal. It is also a criminal offence under the Protection of Animals Act 1911 and the Animal Welfare Act 2006 to administer poison, injurious drugs or substances to an animal. Under the Animal Welfare Act 2005 it is a criminal offence to allow an animal protected by the act to suffer unnecessarily. Cats are protected by the Act.
A cat is treated by the law as goods and, therefore, the taking of a cat from its owner will amount to theft. You should not, therefore, steal any cat on or caught fouling on your land.
As I read that it's not illegal to shoot them as that wouldn't come under torture beat or cruelty etc ...

too be serious for a minute if its possible for me they are a bloody nightmare, the fishery i worked on we used to get two or three (cat women) every week after releaseing the bloody things to control the mice and rats ,they wouldnt even recognise a rat if it jumped up and bit them ,then they used to turn up every day with cat food for the things,got cheesed off after a while and told them the twelves would sort them out from now on ,rats and mice, i mean probably same people keep releaseing foxes on our shoot, bloody idiots.

As I read that it's not illegal to shoot them as that wouldn't come under torture beat or cruelty etc ...

One key part of the theft act is "to have the intent to permanently deprive the owner of said property" as the cat is property shooting it would do this, but trap and release a few miles away would be difficult to prove theft.
Other offences under the animal welfare act could be committed though
Wingy

Back