Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grouping

Any comments ,I have been told that a 100 grain bullet cannot group as well as say,70/80 grain,it does seem that my old 243 lakelander does group better with winchester 80 grain than say federal 100 grain,

Hi Tony

All comes down to twist rates, most factory sticks in 243 have a 1:10 twist.

I have found with my sako that 80/85 grain heads go better than 100's.

A 1:8 twist barrel will get the 100's going well.

Hope yor well

I usually use 75gr V.Max. for vermin species in my .243s.
    However , I won a box of 100gr Privi Partisans at a stalkers shoot and tried them in my Tikka T3 .

I was surprised to find a half-inch 3 shot group in the left hand side of the bullseye but as stated the one-in-ten twist is better suited to 85gr or less.

Grouping is a matter of ballistics and the multitude of factors involved * - it's all down to your particular ammunition/rifle combination and how well they suit each other.

If Prvi Partizan work with your rifle, whooppee at around 7 for 20!

* edited to add -and the nut behind the gun!

My .243 shoots best with 70gr Ballistic Tips, one hole 5 shot groups if I do my bit.

The next best thing is 100gr Norma, the Privi is very tight to chamber so I have not bothered with it.

It is no problem in my Tikka T3 .
    It is very convenient to be able to zap a Roe or a Crow with a quick ammo change .

Federal 100 grain power shok out of a Steyr pro hunter mk 2 in 243. (date not correct)

Two 243 groups using 70gr reloads

Might even start shooting foxes at 5-600m

Is that target in the Clan McNab tartan SB?

Not enough target contrast for this partially sighted geriatric.

I was 74 when I shot the target below , they took my driving licence off me this May , now 76 and reduced to an electric buggy .
    Those 68gr Bergers do not expand like the 75gr V.Max. but are more accurate . [ again shot at 100yds. ]
    Sako rifle which I sold a couple of weeks ago.