Hole In The Head

Harry mac

I wonder what could have caused this.
Shot her this morning after initially thinking she'd somehow lost an eye. Imagine my surprise when........
She seemed to be in perfect health, the wound was clean and showed no infection.

Attachments

• Hole In The Head 1.jpg
    Hole In The Head 1.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 272
Could it have been a badly infected suborbital gland, since healed?

Edit: or as it's a roe, an infection in the vestigial remains of the suborbital gland?

Last edited:
I'd go for a bullet wound - be worth cutting the head open to see if there's any traces left. Long time ago, I shot a stag which had a very similar hole (size of a 12g shell) in it's nose, which was the result of a misplaced shot a few weeks before. No broken jaw, nose, sign of infection and plenty of fat about the rest of him.

I would say infection or abscess that has subsequently eaten away the bone & tissue,

or maybe she got into a fight with this fella?:D

unicorn.jpg

I have seen this before in a red hind kindly handed in by another stalker. There is a gland in front of the eye which produces a sebaceous secretion. If this gets blocked it forms an abscess and bursts destroying the bone of the maxilla and leaving a permanent hole. Can you please tell me a little more about the age, breed and sex of the beast you shot? Jimmy

I think Jimmy Simpson knows what he is talking about, when he provides this comprehensive diagnosis, it's his speciality

I have seen this before in a red hind kindly handed in by another stalker. There is a gland in front of the eye which produces a sebaceous secretion. If this gets blocked it forms an abscess and bursts destroying the bone of the maxilla and leaving a permanent hole. Can you please tell me a little more about the age, breed and sex of the beast you shot? Jimmy
Jimmy, the beast was a roe doe, approximately 4 years old. The wound was almost dry and showed no sign of active infection, The hole did not extend into the mouth and there was no sign of dried blood or broken bone.
I'm glad I got her before the weather got warm and the flies found her.

Very interesting Jimmy. Shot a very healthy red hind a few weeks ago that had the same wound. Guessed at a burst abscess, thanks for the confirmation.

Indeed be interested to see the skull boiled out Harry.

A friend was feeding a red stag through the winter with a big lump below the corner of his eye that we assumed was an infected sub orbital gland.

deer diseases is my interest as a vet, along with enjoying stalking. I get a lot of material sent to me for diagnosis. So keep the pics coming they are really interesting. Jimmy

Back