Mod advice

swatty

I have a wee problem with the current mods I use on the calibre's , I use firstly I shoot a 3006 tikka and use a atec cmm4 which is nice and light for stalking secondly I have a big dirty remi 700 varmint 22.250 and predator p8 now the problem I have is although the atec is light it makes the 06 long and a bit pocky and doesn't reduce recoil that much which isn't a problem stalking but ain't very good for load delvelopment plinking etc . The other side is the pig if a remi with the p8 weighs a ton and that puts me off taking it out if the cabinet . So what I'd like to do is possibly get one mod that is light enough for stalking heavy enough for plinking and 30 cal that will be quite enough on the 22.250 if that's possible . Worst case is just getting a mod that would be suitable for the 3006 and an other for the 22.250 that us light enough preferably over barrel as the 22.250 is 26 inch barrel so do any if you guys have any suggestions

Talk to the guys at Lawrence precision they may be able to help. They are not cheap but do work. Make sure you get them to proof them first though.

BE

Have you considered the A-Tec Maxim with a view to using it on both rifles.
I have heard all this guff about Mods being better if bore specific but if the internal volume is big enough to dampen a .30 calibre bullet then I am sure it is good enough to dampen the noise from a .22 calibre bullet.
I have used my A-Tec Maxim on my .222 .243 .308 and my 30-06 and nobody has noticed any difference in volume when using either calibre.

The whole idea of a moderator is to dampen the gases not the bullet, by keeping as much of these gases in the mod, hence calibre specific mods do a better job of reducing noise.
Fire a 22 bullet out of a hole designed for a 30 cal bullet and more gas is going to escape, resulting in less noise reduction.
A moderator is not a recoil reducing device, some reduction of felt recoil is a secondary function to the mods primary role of noise reduction and can in most occaisions be attributed to the added weight of the mod.

Ian.

The gasses leaving the muzzle blast sideways into the Mod chambers before exiting the mouth of the mod.
The gasses from a .22 cartridge, in my case a .222 with 21gns of H4198 do not generate the same amount of gass as that generated by the powder from a .30 cartridge, in my case a 30-06 with 50 gns of H4895.
The bullet is not effected in any way as it follows the central path from the muzzle, subject to no crown erosion or damage.
The gasses swirl through all the chambers before exiting and it is the muzzle report from the gasses hitting the air that the moderator dampens or moderates from a crack to a whoosh.
A calibre specific mod will be 'better' than a non calibre specific but not enough to make much discernable difference to the average Mk1 Human ear.

Have you considered the A-Tec Maxim with a view to using it on both rifles.
I have heard all this guff about Mods being better if bore specific but if the internal volume is big enough to dampen a .30 calibre bullet then I am sure it is good enough to dampen the noise from a .22 calibre bullet.
I have used my A-Tec Maxim on my .222 .243 .308 and my 30-06 and nobody has noticed any difference in volume when using either calibre.

I have recently acquired an A-Tec Maxim in .30 cal. It was used but in excellent condition. I have been using it on my .243 and couldn't be more pleased with it.
I also have a 30-06 with a 20 inch barrel that I would like to use the A-Tech on instead of the T8 but for some reason I am reluctant to try it. I have seen and heard his A-Tech Maxim used by my pal on his 20 inch barrel .270 and it was fine.

I do not target shoot so the amount of rounds put through my rifles is relatively low. I am interested in other's experience of using the A-Tech Maxim on a 30-06.

One word of advice is 'don't put Plus-gas inside them'. I used Plus-gas to help free off the baffle units and clean them. Then I greased the threads with copper-slip. Once all reassembled I just had to give it an extra squirt of Plus-gas for good measure. The first shot I fired was in woodland at a Red stag. There was so much white smoke that it could have been a blackpowder cartridge ! I couldn't see for some time but when the smoke cleared all was well and as it was a neck shot at short range, my stag was waiting for me. We live and learn.

The new A-Tec Carbon in .30 cal looks good but you need to sell a kidney first, think it was about £440!!!!!

Back