We got a heavily pregnant vixen last night

Cyres

Well at last a rain free night. First port of call was the mud bath chicken farm, spotted a fox with the thermal but difficult position and didn't like the lamp at all, so going to have to be total thermal/NV job.

Quick motor up to next chicken farm where we shot 1 of a pair a few weeks ago. Suspected we had a vixen and as we have several fields of sheep had a walk round. Nothing in the sheep field but S another SD member (who is a temporary member of the team) spotted a fox crossing a field then into a thick hedge, but didn't come out. We stalked down the hedge and arround the corner hoping to cut it off, no luck but then shortly later heat source in the hedge in front of us infront of a big oak.

Plenty of time for mate to get settled with the 6mm BR, nicely settled prone, lamp on bring it down and bang, so quick i jumped. Big strike but a little strange, anyway walked the 100 yds up to the tree no fox, however clambered through wire remains of hedge and a fence to find a very dead fox on the other side, it must have been on the bank and just rolled over. Turned out to be a very heavily pregnant vixen, not quite milky but well on. So another happy chicken farmer.

Concencuss was that would never have seen it with NV unless there had been eye shine, the more we use the thermal the more we think how did we cope without it.

Has to be the way foreward

D

Yep - thermals rule! Well done on the fox - we put a load of stinky bait out yesterday afternoon, but I suspect all the rain we had washed a lot of the smell away. Anyway - we checked it both on the way out and on the way back from another farm last night. There was nothing on it, or where we went. Anyone would think that all the foxes in the area have been shot!

Nice one Dave.

let me know when you are throwing away those old cr@p nv gear and paddy can chuck me back the pvs 14, im sure we can manage with just those :) leaving you TI boys to get on with it.

bob.

Nice one Dave.

let me know when you are throwing away those old cr@p nv gear and paddy can chuck me back the pvs 14, im sure we can manage with just those :) leaving you TI boys to get on with it.

bob.

Sorry, Bob - I use the TI next to my PVS. The former hangs around my neck, the latter sits on a binocular chest harness. That way I can switch between the two in moments. I have, however, added neutral density film to the eyepieces of the TI so that the glare doesn't blind me. The end result is that the image is about the same brightness as the PVS.

what Thermal unit you guys using?

i see you can get the Flir ps24 i think it is for around 1500 quid now .... but was told not to bother........ your tight to tell a blob which was a rabbit at 30 yards.

still wouldnt mind a look thru some units tho ...see the difference

paul

what Thermal unit you guys using?

i see you can get the Flir ps24 i think it is for around 1500 quid now .... but was told not to bother........ your tight to tell a blob which was a rabbit at 30 yards.

still wouldnt mind a look thru some units tho ...see the difference

paul

You're right to want to see through the units first! My primary advice is to go for a device with no less than a 30Hz refresh rate. That counts the cheaper Flirs out straight away, as they only use 9Hz (which means you have to scan so slowly that it's a waste of time). I use a Solo TI Stealth S2 Integrated (what a mouthful!) but as the company doesn't seem to be at all interested in the hunting market, I would instead look at the Pulsar HD38S. The Guide 518C has a number of advantages - it has a better refresh rate, bigger lens (hence better quality picture), etc. But - in my opinion it's too big, too heavy and too expensive to hang around the neck as a spotter. My mate uses one, and it's not for me.

Paddy is spot on . My mate has the flir24 . Save your money and go for the pulsar hd38s . Thats what i did . Awesome kit !!!
Atb Steve

Back