ASE Northstar

No personal experience of this make myself, but this happens on odd occasions with quite a few mods, sometimes without explanation, sometimes due to bad machining / parts etc, you possibly could have a thread that is worn or just slightly off spec, is it coming loose regularly? Just on the flip side , I have a .223 that does'nt even need to be fired to need a oil filter wrench to remove it's T4,(almost), this due to a slight thread pitch issue. Steve.

i have no knowledge of these but could you just put a small amount of ptfe tape on the thread to tighten thread up abit.have you tried another mod as it sounds that one of the threads is cut slack.

I just got a new one fitted on my .270 a coulpe of weeks ago it did loosen itself a fair bit when I was zeroing it, I just assumed that I hadn't tightened it properly but have screwed it on as hard as I physically could and it still comes loose! Just thought I'd let you know you're not the only one!

Got one on my 6.5 x 55. I have the opposite problem and find it quite difficult to remove! Much more so than the T8 0n my 30-06

ATB

Tom

I also have one on my 6.5 x 55 Sako; it did loosen once when I did it up very lightly, but since then I have given it a little bit of a "tweak" and it has been no trouble.

I will be shot down in flames her but
Is your barrel thread in the same direction as the mod or against the thread. If in the same direction it is logical it could come loose (Lorry Wheelnut problem if against the direction of rotaton it could tighten. Remeber the barrel and mod heat. Mod moves one way or tuther and as it cools it is either tighter or slacker.
Just a theory
Jim

I think a problem like this was on here a while back and was solved by cleaning the threads with meths on the barrel and in the mod.

Cheers.

modds

i got one when they came out put on a 243 never had a problem . Better than the t8 i had before the only thing is the length of the thred seems a bit longer than normal mods i wouldnt say its any better than any other make but it was cheap at the time and it seems to work shot about 200 rounds through it to date only time will tell

Loose mods.

Try cleaning both rifle and moderator screw threads with meths, or similar, then reassemble using a couple of drops of 'Loctite' on the rifle threads first.

Brianm

Re: Loose mods.

Brianm said:
Try cleaning both rifle and moderator screw threads with meths, or similar, then reassemble using a couple of drops of 'Loctite' on the rifle threads first.

Brianm
Brian, What grade Loctite are you recommending?, some of the more available grades are an absolute B*****D to shift without heat.

try this, clean the threads carefully, and put a small amount of lithium grease onto the threads this will do two things protect the thread from corrosion will make removal a doddle and will stop the moderator from working loose learned this a long time ago from a motorcycle mechanic he told me they did this to keep bolts on the bikes from working loose, I do this with all my bolts and fittings and also my own northstar and so far have had no problems just bear in mind use just enough grease to coat the threads!!! ;)

Good idea that dlz90 now while i now do have a north star and i am ready to put it on my rifle will copper grease do the same job if not were will i get said grease with out buying a load. ;)

Yes copper grease should do just fine or any good quality equivalent.
here's how it works, ran a little search and found a pretty good description pasted this from another site, ;)

Fastener Lubrication
It is counter-intuitive to think of using lubricants to keep nuts and bolts from loosening up, but actually it really works!
When you tighten a threaded fastener, you are working against two sorts of resistance:

Actually tightening the fastener by the wedging action of the motion of the slanting threads.
Frictional resistance as the threads slide against one another, and as the bolt head or nut turns against whatever stationary part it presses against.
Only the first of these actually helps hold the parts together. If the threads and head are dry, this frictional force will be the limiting factor in how tight you can get the fastener for a given amount of torque on the wrench.
If you lubricate the threads, and the pushing face of the nut or bolt head, more of your applied wrench torque goes toward actually tightening the fastener.

Lubricating the threads also reduces the risk of stripping the threads.

hope this helps and good luck!!! :D

I mentioned earlier in this thread that:

"I also have one on my 6.5 x 55 Sako; it did loosen once when I did it up very lightly, but since then I have given it a little bit of a "tweak" and it has been no trouble."

What I failed to say was that that this extra "tweak" also concided with lightly greasing the barrel thread with copper grease (to aviod thread stripping) so maybe that did help address the tightness issue.

Thanks for the explanation as to how this works DZL

Back