stalking rifle?

wildfowler.250

What is the best factory rifle out there at the moment? Are blaser and sauer rifles any further ahead than the likes of sako 75? I always get the temptation to chuck all my rifles in and just get one 'good' one. But on the other hand they wont drop any more deer I suppose?

Think I've got a new gun craving :doh:

I think it is all a matter of preference,among the top brands, of which you mentioned three,there is very little in it......

I have a Sauer stalking rifle and love it ! BUT the stalking rifle that is my first choice out of the safe is my Remington .

You can only use one at a time! Or at least that is what I keep telling myself. All my rifles have different things going for them. If it is not the benefit of a certain caliber it is the appearance of the woodwork and the feel of it in my hands. Or the confidence of a solid setup with a heavy barrel and a long range scope. Then there are my trusty work-horses. Then I'm back to square one again.

For a little more dosh than a over priced Blazer get a nice custom rifle..... A Sauer with nice would would be nice though if you fanied carrying it every where in a slip.

nutty

Love my Sauer's. one in .308 which I'm going to chop down to 18" for woodland with a CMM4 mod for light easy handling. Other a 6.5x55 with maxim mod for longer range stuff or on the hill. Then soon to pick up a browning A bolt in 22-250 for munty and scottish roe. Nice short barrel with Cmm4 again. All synthetic. I love nice wood but a rifle is to be used and my fun comes from getting stuck in and stalking. Not polishing the rifle. Sauer are light, durable, well made and look nice. Blazer too heavy for me for little gain with straight pull. Ok if the deer stood still and you could get all shots off quick.

I went from Sako to Blaser and don't regret it one bit. The de-cocker, shorter overall size, amazing accuracy and ability to change calibres were the main reasons I went for the blaser.
wildfowler.250, its difficult to quell a new gun craving! Don't think I will be having one for a long time though.

I went from Sako to Blaser and don't regret it one bit. The de-cocker, shorter overall size, amazing accuracy and ability to change calibres were the main reasons I went for the blaser.
wildfowler.250, its difficult to quell a new gun craving! Don't think I will be having one for a long time though.

I think if I was starting again, this route would be the one. At least 3 younger and smarter folk that I know have made this move recently. Being able to take the rifle down is also very handy when travelling.

Regards JCS

There is merit in all these options, I have or had, a Sauer, several Sako's, Blasers and semi customs. I like them all in different ways. However, the compactness, trigger quality and accuracy of the Blaser is very hard to argue against.

However, the compactness, trigger quality and accuracy of the Blaser is very hard to argue against.

There are a lot of good rifles out there but I agree with this - for me the most important factor is how easy it is to live with and in my view there isn't anything that makes your life quite so simple as a plastic Blaser. It might be ugly and there are a million reasons to have other rifles, and loads of them, but for someone like me who only wants one and wants to travel with it, take it out on wet days and to not to have to worry about accuracy or any other aspect of its operation then the Blaser just simply works. Boring it is but I've little interest in rifles and am really only interested in what they allow me to do and the Blaser simply works with minimum fuss.

Hal go for a Blaser you won't be disappointed.

Had mine 3 years now and have no regrets, easy to strip for cleaning or changing barrels/calibre's and if travelling you remove the scope/mounts, on rebuilding no change in zero and very accurate even with the right factory ammo.

ATB wallace

I switched to the Blaser years ago. Best thing I ever did. All I have done since is gradually sell all my other rifles one by one and buy additional barrels.
There's a lot to be said to using the same rifle everytime, you get REAL familiar with it.

I would bet there isn't a single benefit or gain in noticeable accuracy between the rifle in this advert over any other mentioned in this thread already. Spending another £2000 over this rifle is spending for the sake of spending. I'm not saying you shouldn't spend it, just that there is absolutely no real reason for doing so.

And as for travelling, does a once a year trip dictate the type of rifle bought to be used over the other 99.9999999999% of its life? For that earlier mentioned £2000? Nope..... :D

Sako .243 75 Action 3 Hunter Wood Blued Bolt Action Second Hand for sale. Buy for 595.

Back