Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freelanders

I know, I know, but:
    We are thinking about a new(er) motor, primarily for family use,and the boss (read wife) sat in next doors Freelander 2 and says she likes it. I've been down the Land Rover path plenty times, that's why I have a Toyota. Anyway, I'd like to hear from anyone with first hand ownership experience of the later Freelander 2, particularly the SD4 190hp variant. Feel free to PM in order to avoid yet another Land Rover mud slinging thread.

On my second one both from new with a total of 140,000 miles between them without any major issue, rear pinion bearing done on current vehicle under warranty.
    I would recommend them to anyone. Current model is TD4 auto GS. Really comfortable with fair fuel consumption, best being 42 mpg on 1,000 journey, around town about 34.

Land Rovers have had an obvious reputation for unreliability that they have acquired over quite a few years and you just need to see some of the entrenched views on here from people that would not touch another with a barge pole to see how much damage they've done to their own reputation. Negligent discharges into their own feet!

However, their newer models have come on in that department in leaps and bounds. The Freelander 2 is like a NORMAL car to drive, not tractor-like at all. It compares well in all departments with it's rivals and still keeps it's class leading off road ability. It's comfortable, refined, looks the part and so far (and they've been about a good while now) are proving reliable. The second hand values are strong and they position themselves favourably in the market as a genuine alternative to the other small Chelsea tractors on the market.

It's obviously a winner for LR as they've gone even further down this route with the even smaller Evoque, which they simply can't make fast enough!

We've had 3 and they are great cars.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I had a TD4 HSE (58 plate) for a year. Decent car, but with a lot of small problems that you would never expect from a new car. Fuel efficiency was a problem as it is a heavy all wheel drive vehicle. We sold it as soon as we realised that it was going to give us problems in the long run. The quality of build was below standard. The best thing this car had was the hill descent control and the option to adjust the car depending on the surface you were driving on.

I have had 2 freelanders, the first model and a freelander 2 TD4 HSE. We had a number of problems with the first one, leaking sun roof, water in the storage compartment in the boot, loss of power from time to time but my wife still loved it. As it was her car she wanted the Freelander 2 TD4 HSE to replace it (which I was nervous about). Anyway we bought it and after about a month it started losing power when going up a hill, put it in to the landrover garage, they drove it for about 80 miles and said that they couldn't find what was wrong with it. Eventually they sorted it. We later had problems with the window on the boot, the boot door lock, had to change the stabilising bars on the front pretty much every service as we did with the first one (getting tired now writing everything down). Anyway eventually we traded it in for a Suzuki Grand Vitara. I didn't want to sell either of my freelanders privately as I didn't want the buyer coming back.

In my experience the freelander was the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned and both were bought from new. My wife always liked driving them but even she wouldn't want another due to the reliability issues.

So far it's about 50/50 then. I spoke with a friend today who loves hers, but she's a confirmed Landy lover.
    Test drives should have been booked, but the local LR agent, Peter Vardy, have managed to surpass the previous agent, Town & Countys' level of crapness in not bothering to call me back to organise a time and date after a lengthy online discussion with a sales rep yesterday. Obviously don't need to try too hard to sell them.
    Last edited by Malxwal; 28-02-2014 at 21:13.

I have had Discos for 20 years, last one I sold at 274,000, current one has done 262,000 as will be for sale very shortly.

Yes they leak oil, but up to 180,000 miles both were faultless, after that as you would expect they start to get a bit unreliable but nowhere near as bad as rumoured. Both were auto deisels, no failures in major components although both needed injectors at 180,000.

I had an diesel auto 300TDi Disco, never gave me an ounce of bother, bar the cylinder head cracking for no reason whatsoever, an easy fix (for me anyway). Sold it because I needed a cheaper motor to run at the time.

I have a 09 TD4 Freelander 2 and have done about 85,000 miles averaging 35.8mpg. Great to drive and made a trip to Edinburgh a breeze. I've pushed my luck a couple of times off road and been ok but it would be better with more suitable tyres. Only problems so far are the rear wiper motor and rear door latch.