witch one

An age old question, to which (not witch!) I would ask, what deer do you intend to shoot?
Have you shot any yet, and what with? Purpose will dictate choice above personal preference.
Tell us what you need it for and we can then tell you what you need!
MS

I have both, a Sauer in 6.5x55 and a Blaser in 243. If I had to choose a caliber it would be the 6.5x55.

ATB

T

While the .243 is capable of taking all deer in the UK subject to range & POI limitations on large red stags, in my view the 6.5x55 would be the better choice. ATB

got both but always use 6.5 for deer (shot all 6 with it) i love it, 243 is now my fox rifle. but it is a back up incase of malfunction in 6.5. however getting 30.06 for boar and deer.

20lb Munties or 200lb reds?
sorry missed some posts been busy revising, not really picked my 223 tikka hunter up tday 1 in 8 twist 1/2 thread for mod been oiling the wood all i need now compadre,s is some suitable ammo for it fox/deer factory loads as i dont load as yet, right were was i thanks for all replys, i dont think i will be ever going for reds or boar but you never know, munties /cwd/roe/ mainly i dont want to go too big ,thats why i asked 243 or 6.5x55 i dont need or want anything bigger.thanks. ps the 223 didnt come into the question as i got it for fox and because it was extremely cheap as swapped a s/side for it + a bit of cash. basicly i think what im asking is for most medium sized english deer the rifle would be ??? with a possibility of hand loading in the future.

Last edited:
i cut myself back to owning one centre fire and ive gone with the .243 as my rifle is a foxing gun 1st then a stalking rifle 2nd, i dont buy into the .243 not being enough gun for stalking thoery but i do except that for open hill stag stalking there are better choices but that said i dont stalk reds. i cant comment on the 6.5 as ive never owned or shot one but what i will say tho is i think you will have to be a reloader to get the best out of one, if i was to give you my honest advice i would say go for a .308 i know youve already writen one off but i would get one and have it opened up for boar as well then if you do decide you want to go after a stag you wont get any problems and if you do ever fancy a trip on the boar your all set

thanks for the replys thats all im asking really , a go to rifle for deer , a better calibre , an all rounder cheep ammo poss reloads and not to big,

There are more important factors than the calibre, either will do, you just need a
good, accurate, consistent setup. I've moved away from .243 (which was only for foxing and the odd headshot roe) to run 2 rifles which shoot 6.5mm bullets. If you choose the swede, i'd run 120gn bullets over the 140's

thanks gary, doug. i dont know this but is there factory ammo available easy for 6.5 ok hands up i dont know anything about ammo other than it goes bang when you pull the trigger

Last edited:
thanks gary, doug. i dont know this but is there factory ammo available easy for 6.5

I have no idea, there certainly isn't for the 6.5x47l, i would imagine the swede is fairly easy to source, but you need stuff which shoots decent bullets at a reasonable speed.

thank you , so really what your saying is if i go 6,5 route its reloading time , 243 rfd shop it goes bang i go home ,simples,

thank you , so really what your saying is if i go 6,5 route its reloading time , 243 rfd shop it goes bang i go home ,simples,

What im really saying is just make sure you buy a decent rifle. Im sure the rest will fall in place. If you go for the swede you might want to consider a dog also!

no dogs misses banned me from them i was collecting them in all colours, ok thanks a lot gary i will reconsider all my options, and thanks to all who replied atb bear with me i tend to think aloud sometimes ,hmmmm, atb doug, :cuckoo:

Back