cut around the joint in the front leg
P1040109.jpg

and bend backwards
P1040111.jpg

then twist 360%
P1040110.jpg

and cut off
P1040114.jpg

next i use a sharp knife using the tip start to slice between the skin and the ribcage trying not to cut the skin or score to deep into the breast meat
P1040118.jpg

i then start from the rear legs cutting from the joint to the pelvic bone, again tip of the knife not digging in and cutting into the haunch
P1040123.jpg

this is then continued into and around the shoulder
P1040121.jpg

from there i should of cleaned the skin from the carcass from the back leg all the way upto the neck on both sides of the carcass
P1040125.jpg

P1040126.jpg

now i lift the carcass up with the winch to a workable height

P1040127.jpg

P1040133.jpg

from there i skin around the haunch and down its back straps
P1040142.jpg

P1040143.jpg

at this point you should be able to use a little brute force to pull the skin down further towards the neck
P1040146.jpg

normaly i would of cut the head on the same night it was shot, but was unsure about having this paticular beast sent to the taxidermist, but decided against it today
i usually place a cut at the base of the ears where the atlas joint is, (knife there for illustration purposes only)
P1040148.jpg

and cut all around the neck and then pull back
P1040150.jpg

and twist
P1040154.jpg

then cut any offending sinuse so the head should now be seperated from the carcass
P1040160.jpg

after that i truss the front legs up nice and neatly
P1040169.jpg

i then weigh and log the details
P1040173.jpg

after that i place in 2 layers of muslin tube netting
P1040170.jpg

the skin is then layed out minus the head
P1040155.jpg

folded in half
P1040156.jpg

and half again
P1040158.jpg

P1040163.jpg

then placed in a black bag and into the freezer awaiting to be tanned
this may not be the best or fastest method but it is the way i used to do it before i made a sknning machine
it normaly takes about half hour with out the pics, while slurping on a coffee

now onto the next Part

this one was a Fallow doe so about the same size as yours

P1050897.jpg

i remove the shoulders first
i cut across the chest just above the shoulder blade
P1050898.jpg

then cut the flesh away from the rib cage by running the knife down tight against the ribs peeling the flesh back and then again cutting down the back bone
this then starts to get the whole shoulder starting to fall away
P1050904.jpg

i then take the other shoulder off and go strip the meat off both shoulders
one shoulder has been stripped and about to start the other , as you can see a pile of cut up meat starting to form on the right of the unstripped shoulder, you can bone and roll the shoulder or just use the whole shoulder as a joint
P1050906.jpg

next i start with the loin or saddle
this i cut into chops or medallions
i cut across the flank just below the haunches
P1050907.jpg

and cut down the rib cage leaving a genouros piece of fatty flank
P1050908.jpg

i then cut down the back bone peeling the loin away and also cut the flank away from the ribcage
P1050913.jpg

this then leaves me a good long pice of meat with a bit of fat on it
P1050909.jpg

which i then fold over
P1050910.jpg

and start to slice thumb width thick chops off it
P1050912.jpg

next i start on the haunches
P1050914.jpg

by cutting around the edge of the pelvic bone and along the back bone
P1050917.jpg

i then start to cut around the ball joint
P1050916.jpg

leaving me a whole haunch to then start to debone
P1050918.jpg

the hauch is the cut into 2 pieces
one as a joint
P1050919.jpg

the other is placed in the freezer for a couple of hours to go solid then is sliced into steaks
P1050928.jpg

now you also should of accummilated a pile of meat that you hav cut of the shoulders and exces bits from the chops and from the steaks
this i normally either cube the best bits and mince the rest
P1050920.jpg

a few of the trays of mince , cubed ,joints and chops ready to be packaged
P1050922.jpg

on the over wrapper ready and waiting
P1050923.jpg

and finished product
P1050930.jpg

also if you had a bit of spare meat or did not just want trays of mince
you could try this

P1060081.jpg

then i cut the meat i stripped off into chunks or cubes around an inch in size
P1060083.jpg

after that i took an onion and whole clove of garlic
P1060084.jpg

finely chopped the onion and after peeling the garlic finely chopped that aswell
along with thes ingredients i added around 3lbs of pork fat/belly draft and cut that into inch chunks/cubes aswell
P1060085.jpg

then mix all of these together in with the venison
P1060091.jpg

now every thing is ready to mince
normally i would use the mincer in the larder , except that mincer works best if the meat is semi frozen
i did not hav time to wait for that , so i used the mincer at home, a little slower
but i can can hav a drink while i'm doing it
i put the mixture through the mincer twice
first on a coarse hole plate
P1060129.jpg

while this is gonig on i take a bit of the mince and fry it up just to see what the flavour is like
to see if i need to add anything else
P1060094.jpg

once happy i then mince it again on a fine hole plate setting
P1060130.jpg

both coarse and fine together
P1060131.jpg

mincer working on fine setting
P1060097.jpg

next i lay out several wax discs , i use quarter pounder's (approx 4") from lakeland
P1060099.jpg

after that i roll hand full of mince into a ball and place on the disc's, once you hav done a few you will get an idea of how big a handfulll you will need (approx 100grams is a gude line)
P1060102.jpg

then place another wax disc on top of these , then use a hand held burger press , mine at home is a cheap amnd nasty plastic one but it works well
P1060104.jpg

P1060106.jpg

once done i use a metal fish slice to lift the burgers of the work surface and place them in fours into a bag, plastic ones are a little thicker and often the front edge is damaged
P1060109.jpg

once all done and bagged up
pop them onto a tray and into the freezer this keeps them from becoming mis-shaped , you can then re-pack them in freezer once the burger are frozen,

P1060111.jpg

now all done and time to tidy up
one last thing to do
cook one and try it
P1060115.jpg

P1060126.jpg

Failing that give the butcher a ring :evil: :evil:

ATB

Rich,
that is a nice comprehensive post, I take it from that the boy got lucky yesterday :D

John

Good Job there I gotta say :) ,

I wish I had the facilities....unfortunately I dont so I give a skinned
beast to the butcher and he turns it into whatever cuts and presentation I tell him for £10/12 depending on beast size.
Must get round to building a garage

happy new year

Orionsarms

Cheers Stone - I staretd salivating all over my desk just looking at all that luvver-lee venison piling up...!! :lol:

Stone,

Thanks for taking the time to do this with all the great photos - I do my own skinning and butchery, but you have given me lots of pointers and ideas that will improve / add to what I have been doing.

I have just purchased a mincer and so will be trying out your burger recipe.

This is the kind of information sharing article that makes SD so valuable.

Neal

Wow mate thats some post and pickies :eek:

Must have taken nearly as long as the butchering..

Great post mate and great set up..

Started making my list for Santa already after seeing that..

Terry

Rich I think there is something wrong with mine :eek:

I left it all night in the barn like you said had a look this morning and it still ain't got no nice antlers like the one in your pics do I need to leave it a bit longer while they grow dude :lol:

Thank you for an excellent post :)

Please excuse the rumbling noises ............................. it's just my tum ;)

Rich

Fantastic post - top job!

In one photo you say you wrap the skinned carcase in two layers of muslin tubing. Excuse my ignorance, but can I ask why, and for how long? By the time you butchered the carcase the tubing was gone? I was wondering if it's because you don't hang the carcase in a chiller, of if your dealer insists on it, or if it's just some weird muslin fetish! :eek: ;)

Well done again for the really informative post.

willie_gunn

willie_gunn said:
Rich

Fantastic post - top job!

In one photo you say you wrap the skinned carcase in two layers of muslin tubing. Excuse my ignorance, but can I ask why, and for how long? By the time you butchered the carcase the tubing was gone? I was wondering if it's because you don't hang the carcase in a chiller, of if your dealer insists on it, or if it's just some weird muslin fetish! :eek: ;)

Well done again for the really informative post.

willie_gunn
this post is actually made up of 3 seperate posts that i hav done in the past and just edited bits here and there so i could join them all together just for continuation purposes ;)

mean't to take the pics of the muslin out as not really needed for this post
the actuall carcass in the pics for skinning was of a fallow buck
but the carcass for the buthcered deer was of a fallow doe

the tubing in the pics is a lot finer than the stuff i use now, so the new stuff being thicker only one layer is needed
i use it when the carcass is going to the butcher or sold else-where as it looks more presentable than just wrapped in plastic and it seems to stop the meat drying out and also sweating if left to hang in the fridge for a few more days after it has left my possession
i get my rolls of muslin from a local butchery supplies in case any one was wondering where to get it, bushwear sell it as well i think
ATB

Great post...the running theme seems to be 'drink' as well which is always an incentive!!!!

ATB

Back