Taxidermy

griff

A friend of mine is looking for a "good" taxidermist to stuff his left and right woodcock.
Preferrably in Scotland and within reasonable distance of Dumfries..
Any suggestions.
regards
griff

Theres a guy in Closeburn Dumfries , John hislop or hobson ive seen some of his work which has been excellent.

Woodcock are a taxidermists nightmare and are amongst the hardest birds to mount well.A combination of thin fatty skin, which is the consistency of wet tissue paper, and which also rips and tears at the slightest pressure makes these birds very difficult. Also they often have been caught in the centre of the shot pattern, so are riddled with holes.
I would recommend Carl Church, as one of the countries best bird taxidermists at the moment. His website is www.birdtaxidermy.co.uk
Check out his work it is absolutely superb!

Lakey

on the subject of taxidermy does anyone know what the cost would be for a full head mount of a roebuck and/or a red stag? cheers

Roe heads I think £280 and Red/ Fallow £480 from my local taxidermist.
He is absolutely superb and quick turn around time too.

widows son said:
Theres a guy in Closeburn Dumfries , John hislop or hobson ive seen some of his work which has been excellent.

John no longer lives near Closeburn, he moved into Northumberland borders some time ago.

He has a lot of work on at the moment so no telling when he would get round to new work.

If you want to speak to him PM your contact details and I will pass them onto him.

As for his work excellent indeed, he has shoulder mounted both Red and Roe for myself, free............Now that’s a mate for ya!!!!

thanks all,
Have gone with a guy called Gary Tatterton,after seeing other work he has done..

regards
griff

sako85 said:
Roe heads I think £280 and Red/ Fallow £480 from my local taxidermist.
He is absolutely superb and quick turn around time too.

Have you got a name or location or web address please? :D

I have known Gary for some years, although we have not met in the flesh for sometime. He is a good Taxidermist and an honourable man, you will not have any problems.

Sikamalc

Back