Muntjac and the weather

i shot one on sat night and saw another but it was a doe so left, they are still moving around here and have been all throught the bad weather even when the snow was here.

As an alien species surely the bad weather knocking them back can only be a good thing. I am sure it will have an effect on the less robust CWD. Only time will tell.

Still seeing plenty on shoot days, and whilst out stalking,I dont think the weather affects Muntjac as much as it used to.

A friend of mine has stalked Muntjac for many years, and he can remember finding dead Munjac in obscure places as well as woodlands, peoples sheds, outbuilding anywhere they could find shelter, they have been around for a good many years now, and I think have adapted to the cold weather, like all deer there will be the odd casualty, but that is nature.

I think they move more too just to keep warm! They feed more often than larger deer anyway and their diet of browse such as brambles tends to remain clear of light snow fall. I did shoot a Doe in the last cold spell which must have been due to drop a fawn at any time. As the little one dropped onto the snowy ground all skinny and totally soaking wet, it did make me wonder how it could have survived if it had been born? :confused:
I'm sure each generation becomes more 'tuned' to the environment too, and the cold weather of recent days is nothing compared to the one back in the early 60's.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I heard about them 'good old days' from old people like yourself! :lol:
I arrived in 1966 and it was only just warming up then!
:rolleyes: :lol:

I seem to be struggling to see any on a 1200 acre patch of woodland I stalk. Usually plenty around, but I have not seen one for around a month now. Could just be a case wrong place at the wrong time! Still seeing droppings and fresh slots where the ground manages to thaw a bit so they they must be in there somewhere!

ATB

Tom

I have seen more recently than i did in November and Early December...

Its hard to know with us whether it is a case of more Muntjac have moved in... The Muntjac moving more... Or less cover so you see more...

One thing is the buck that came up behind my high seat on sunday morning wasn't going to stop even at a call...

ATB

Alex

i have just cut up the munty i shot the other night and it was in good shape and still had loads of fat in it so they seem ok here and they are not feed on pheasant feeder or any other food put down for them.

muntjac

i watched 1 head butting a phesant feeder in the middle off a blizzard on sunday morning it looked fine to me

Back