Scottish Wildfowling Ban

dieseldan

Dear All
Please note that from 00.01 on 5th January, the Minister for Environment has issued an Order to ban the shooting of all wildfowl and waders (in Scotland only) for a period of 14 days from that date.
The ban will be reviewed after 7 days, but since the hard weather looks set to continue, it is not likely that the ban will be lifted at least until the end of the 14 days.
Current weather information suggests that the freeze is likely to continue for some time, and it may well be that the ban will be extended for a further 14 days after that - effectively preventing the shooting of wildfowl and waders for the remainder of this season, except perhaps on the foreshore in February.
Please also note that both snipe and woodcock are included in the ban.

Taken from Scottish Association of Country Sports Email Alert

I haven't gone out for anything after the snow started due to the feeding conditions up here. I doubt the poor buggers would of had much chance of any food for a while, in fact, the majority of geese have moved on at the moment.

Deer are still ok though :D

It will be i am sure difficult for the deer if conditions remain and may be a ban on shooting does and hinds would be a very good idea. I am sure it could coincide with the cold payment given to the pensioners.

N Ireland will be close behind Scotland in this, next weekend I would expect.

Long range forecast on Metcheck gives no increase in temperatures for the next two weeks.

Deerstalker2010 said:
It will be i am sure difficult for the deer if conditions remain and may be a ban on shooting does and hinds would be a very good idea. I am sure it could coincide with the cold payment given to the pensioners.

I can't speak for other areas or species, but red hinds here in the Highlands cope admirably well in these conditions, we currently have around two feet of level snow blanketing the majority of the hill, which makes stalking a challenge, but the hinds are looking great, a ban would be pointless.

Pity about the wildfowl ban, most of the keepers days provide an opportunity for duck, woodcock and snipe, and one in particular has geese, and I've not lifted the gun to any of them this season yet....

I was given three woodcock by a friend that where shot in East Lothian on Boxing day - ground etc had already snowed under for a week - they did appear very thin - breast bone showing and not a ounce of fat on them.

Still very good to eat though!

Back