Cleaning rifle chamber

charlieboy-shooter

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been done to death and if so please point me in the right direction.

But what is the best method for cleaning the chamber on my .243 Win. On inspection I have noticed carbon build up around the neck of the chamber and part way up the chamber. However the deposit is not all the way round but is limited to approx 1/2 way round on the neck and a similar mark half way up the chamber. I have tryed soaking it in bore cleaner and Napier gun cleaner and removing with weak nylon brush, pads and cotton mop, all of which seem to make no progress. Is an other sized bronze brush ok ??? ie one size for the neck and a bigger one for the main chamber ????.

Any advice appreciated. Also any thoughts on the none concetricity of the deposit. could the barrel be off slighlty to the chamber.

Thanks

Some of the offerings from Halfords like brake cleaner & carburetor cleaner will shift carbon deposits, but you sound like you are describing some form of concentricity issue here, have a competent smith check it out?

Back