Hawke scope

Hi everyone I no the hawke are a cheap end scope but I am just trying to find out if anyone has used on?? And what they are like I.e glass

I have a Hawke 3-9x50 (MAP6 reticle) on my CZ452 and I can't fault it. I've also used Hawke scopes on springer air rifles with no problems. Having been in contact with Deben a few months back, they assured me that their scopes would be okay to use on CF rifles too, although I only asked about .243.

I've got a Hawke digi-IR 4-24x50 on my .223 it was all I could afford in x24 mag at the time (£295), but it's a keeper.

also got a Hawke sport HD 3-12X50 on my HMR which cost £74 new and that's not bad either although I usually prefer a finer crosshair, it works well under the lamp with the IR turned down.

Scopes are an odd thing in my opinion, my first scope was a £800 sightron that I didn't really like because it had target turrets (I didn't trust that I hadn't moved them accidentally) so I sold it and bought an £80 nikko sterling game king. this has been on my rifle since and has never let me down or shifted zero at all I think modern manufacturing and less recoil due to moderators mean far more reliable gear nowadays at all price levels. The reticle looks like it has been drawn on with a permanent marker but you can see it at night! As for optical quality, I've looked through dozens of scopes and haven't ever been able to tell the difference. I can tell the difference when a scope is dirty or clean, but that's the only time.

Have used Hawke scopes on 17HMR (6.5-20x50 - I think it was) and on 2x 22LR's (both 3-9x40). None of the scopes were very expensive but all did the job reliably. I'd buy/use them again on similar guns. No experience of them on CF rifles.
hh

Just a point, only the Endurance models are Centrefire rated....they are very good and solid in build,and a snip at £260 ish.

Both myself and my lad use sport hd 3-12x50 on our 308s they are all firearms rated and perform very well.

Last edited:
Figure out the kind of shooting you will be doing before considering any particular brand.

I do a lot of air rifle shooting in woodland - the major differences in scopes becomes very apparent under those conditions as the light begins to fail in a woodland. A close friend had to stop shooting using a Hawke Panorama about 40 minutes before I started to struggle to pick out pigeon head shots as darkness fell. In daylight his scope is bright and clear and to all intents and purposes seems a very solid performer. I was using a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 while he was using a Panorama something-or-other x50.

A friend of mine commented on one of his expensive scopes that is a dog in woodland HFT air rifle shooting - apparently it struggles in dappled light conditions.

The little Hawke Sport HD 2-7x32 AO is a pretty good small scope for closer ranges on low recoil guns.

Hawke are a peculiar brand - in my experience their expensive stuff is massively overpriced in relation to actual performance (when compared to similarly priced scopes from certain other manufacturers) while some of their lower end stuff is pretty impressive.

The trouble with scopes is that very few of us have the opportunity to test products side by side under real-use conditions.

I've got a Hawke 3-9x50 on my .22LR, and really pleased with it.
Would have liked to put a Hawke scope on my .243 but couldn't find the one I wanted at the right price. Ended up buying a cheapo Nikko Sterling instead (bad move) and of course, next day, someone on this site was advertising exactly the Hawke scope I wanted for same price I paid for the N-S :doh:

I would second what .30-06 says above though - the lower end Hawke scopes are probably a better deal than the more expensive end of their range. The quality and performance doesn't seem to go up in step with the price.

I have a 4-12x50IR on my .17HM2 and it's a good piece of kit in daylight. I wouldn't mount it on a c/f for deer though, as its low light performance isn't good enough.

gotta agree with some other comments on here.

i may be fussy but i would leave them on a air gun,i have had loads of glass over the years and sadly hawke scopes are way down on my ratings list. their glass quality has always been found to be lackluster to pants.

save up and buy a better quality rifle scope and a good set of rings,

buy once save boatloads of cash trying to up grade from time to time. (i was told this very thing way back when the pope was a lad)

bob.

I have a Hawke Sidewinder which I would say is the MTC equivenat of the Viper or Genasis and a Hawke Panorama.I am very happy with mine for all I use them for which is Air rifle (FAC and Sub 12ftlb) and Rimfire.ATBMatt

An Endurance might handle the recoil and knocks, but don't epect to see anything through it much in the twilight! OK for air rifles or a rimfire, but not for a centrefire. When shooting large game you need to have confidence in your equipment to ensure humane shots. I don't think you can ever achieve that with a cheap or inadequate scope?
MS

I bought a Hawke 4x32mm Mil Dot scope and put it on a friend's Ruger 10/22.
We were so impressed with the clarity and sharp reticle that I bought two more, and put one on one of my .22s.
I am thinking of putting the other one on a S&W M&P 15-22, or on a real AR15.

The Hawke Sport HD 2-7x32 AO really interests me for a smaller scope on a nice, high end .22 that is accurate, where I want some bullet drop stadia, some magnification, AO, and a package smaller that a 3-9x40. I have one of those, 4-12x40AO airgun scope with 1/8 minute knobs. Great for finding out how a .22 will shoot, but too big for my hunting.

This
Hawke Sport HD 2-7x32 AO is certainly a lot less expensive than a Leupold 3-9x33AO, which is a really nice scope and nice looking.
Tell me more.

I HAVE 4X12x50 on 22lr, thinking of getting same for 17hmr no probs day still ok at night dont forget at night it will be under a lamp /torch anyway, heres another one for you im thinking of throwing a , wait for it bsa sweet 17 on the 223 for a while so i can save for a s/b 8x56,hhmmmm doug, what do you guys think, be brutal.

Reading these threads always interests me since it reveals the wide disparity between requirements, expectations, buying rationale and similar.

Personally I consider low light performance extremely important and, for that reason alone, I find Hawke scopes lacking. I've owned a couple of Panorama models which are among the best combination of clarity and brightness that Hawke offer but their high priced stuff certainly doesn't warrant the cost optically.

I've seen massive variation between same model/magnification Hawke scopes side by side.

I had a little Hawke Sport HD 4x40 mil dot which was a pretty good little scope, especially considering its asking price.

As previously stated, I get better low light performance from a 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff than a x50 Hawke Panorama. The Hawke Panorama is a big step up from the Sport HD models in low light - most of the Hawke scopes I've tried have too thick a cross hair or too busy a ret. I'm not a fan of the floating half mil dot ret. The half and full mil dot markers are too washed out for my eyes.

In the lower price bracket you can't beat Nikon Prostaff. Throw a little more into the budget and Vortex Diamondback is the very best low light scope on the planet unless you almost double the asking price.

At half the Prostaff price or under its a crap shoot and a coin flip.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily knocking Hawke scopes. They can offer excellent value for money and they perform well enough under good conditions. I have a bit of an issue with their high priced stuff which isn't patch on products that often cost less from Nikon and Vortex, for example.

The little 2-7x32AO is a great little workhorse scope and a solid performer.

I prefer a plain ret scope if I'm going as small as x32 and just laser and click the vertical adjustment in on a .22LR

A Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 is a much better option, albeit it at a higher price. The Nikon BDC markers are circles rather than solid dots meaning each one offers three aim points (top of the circle where it bisects the vertical, centre of the circle and bottom of the circle where it bisects the vertical). This offers a great combination of low weight, outstanding clarity, excellent low-light performance and a ton of very useful and usable aim points. Vortex Diamondback is even better in low light than the Prostaff but it has solid dots on its BDC ret that are further apart, making it less flexible than the Prostaff.

I know this is an 'apples and oranges' comparison but until I find a better product than the Prostaff, that's what I will use.

MTC scopes are made in the same factory as Nikko using the same lenses (for the most part) but different tubes and internal parts. Most of them that I've tried suffer badly from flaring and white out under various light conditions.

Nothing wrong with the lower range of Hawke scopes IMHO provided you don't expect the same low light performance as other some other brands. Very useful scopes under good light or assisted light conditions.

Hi everyone I no the hawke are a cheap end scope but I am just trying to find out if anyone has used on?? And what they are like I.e glass

These cheap airgun oriented scopes offer the best price-performance ratio of all scopes on the market. They do 95% of a Schmidt Bender for a tenth or less of the price. Hawke Panorama are particularly good optically. Most are warranted for use on all CF rifles and they track and hold zero.

There is no doubt that you need better glass for shooting at night. Burris and Nikon, with 95% light transmission, are a place to start. A good single power will transmit more. I have a 6x42 Kahles off a Steyr SSG that is like having a light on it. Owners of the Leupold M8 6x42 and Zeiss 6x42 will sign the same song.

There only a few states in the USA which permit shooting game at night, like wild swine, coyotes and bobcats. Most of those shot with lamps will be at close range. The big, fine scopes will let you see down into the trees and shoot at distance by moonlight.

30-06,

Are you using that Hawke 2-7x32AO on a .22 LR?
That is what I am thinking of doing, to get the parallax adjustment for various ranges, and the Mil Dot reticle for long range plinking and work on pigeons at the farm. I was going to put a Burris FFII 2-7x35 Ballistic Plex on this .22, before I discovered the Hawke.

How is that Hawke working for you?

Back