Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: winchester model 70 Westerner 270

winchester model 70 Westerner 270

Because of a seriously reduced budget, I have ended up buying this. Will be at my RFD ready to collect on Sat.

This is I think the push feed model with no floorplate, and the budget version I think - looks like an 80s rifle. Def post '64.

Just wondered if anyone has any chat on them? Having read some really enthusiastic reports on their rugedness and general shootabiliity (apparently budget just meant cheaper stock, action and barrel the same quality) I'mprobably as excited about picking it up and seeing if it shoots as I would be a new shiny one. Always a treat to get a cheap gun and find it shoots nicely - although the v cheap and wonderful husky I bought did, it might be hoping too much for this one!

Any idea on factory loads, or any general tips would be very welcomed.

i had a mod 70 stealth. was very accurate indeed. you can et jewell triggers for them and after market stocks. so there is aftermarket items out there if you want.
    i liked mine better then any remmy but they never really took off over here due to the remmy.

still if it shoots well thats all you need

I've got four of them: .222, 30-06, 308, and 375 H&H. All function and shoot fine.~Muir

Thanks Muir, thought you might!

Ive got a used Jewel trigger for one ! When your wallet has recovered

Don't apologize for if it shoots, and I bet it will. Most factory .270 ammo is pretty well dialed in and bug-free. So start with the old standard, vanilla Winchester Power Point, Federal Classic, and Remington Core Lokt in 130-gr and 150-gr. I have found the Rem CL 150 Round Nose SPT to shoot well in all .270s of mine. The .270 was cooked up for pronghorn antelope and mule deer out West, but the slower 150-gr bullets hit hard and have deep penetration on game like black bear, wild boar, small elk, mountain goats. You don't have the meat damage on a close shot like the 130s have.

Americans tend to think that Winchesters just have to be Mauser design, pre-1964, claw extractor. It ain't so. That might bear on a .375 H&H or .458 dangerous game rifle, but forget it for all else. The push feed XTR actions are great guns. Works for the Rem M700, Tikka, Sako, etc

And don't go crazy messing with the bedding and trigger until you shoot it a bit. That is a good trigger, easy to adjust, simple, reliable and safe.

I bought one off a chap on here but in .308 it's the cheapest rifle I own and the most accurate of all. I will have to be very hard pushed to sell it one day if that day will ever comes. The Winchester has one of the best factory tiggers and a good gunsmith will be able to work the trigger to break like glass. I had my trigger done and it breaks at 1.2 lb shot after shot. I bought it for so cheap and felt like I owed the rifle something so had it cerakoted about a year ago to protect it from the eliments.
    SA Shooter

Thanks everyone. Properly looking forward to picking it up now and not at all glum I couldn't get the swiss arms. I will heed all that useful advice.
    Particularly interested in the comment re 150gr bullets and meat damage. Gather it becones ballistically closer to a 308 in the bigger weights.
    Also pleased to hear what good rifles they can be. Seems a mix of less popular calibre and gun model is to the budget rifle man's benefit.

Yes, same with the SHR 970 here in the USA. I was shopping for a good, handsome .308, as I had several which were all so utilitarian ( HK-91s, FAL, Steyr SSG). A gunsmith friend and serious big game sold me on an SHR 970 for $425.00 I was impressed. Several friends bought .30-06s and love them. They went cheap because no one knew about them.

There used to be a gamekeeper in England with whom I corresponded. He had killed over 2,000 reds with his .270 and 150-gr, only one requiring a second shot. Same story from Africa. I talked a co-worker into trying Core Lokt 150s in his Rem M700. They shot 5 into an inch all day long. He shot a 450-lb black bear, complete pass through, heart lungs, ribs in and out, and it fell like a wet dish rag.

Some of the push feeds up until the change in 1989, especially the wood stocked models, came from the factory epoxy bedded, so if you see what looks like that in your rifle, it may not be an after market job.
    Last edited by Southern; 04-03-2014 at 18:05. Reason: spelling

As everyone above has pointed out , the push-feed Model 70's are very good rifles . They are well thought of around here , and have a good reputation for accuracy and reliability . I've owned a few and they were all accurate and dependable rigs . As SA shooter says , the factory trigger is a very good one , IMHO one of the better factory triggers made , and it doesn't take much to tune them up. Good luck with your new rifle and remember , Jack O'Connor is watching you lol