New to muntjac? Need help

Motomooch

Hi everyone I do a bit of fallow stalking over the years but now I have permission to shoot muntjac I just wondered if there are any reason too/not too shoot males or females as I have seen only one pair on my ground I have set up camera on a well use deer traffic route and I don't want to really loose the quarry from my land by shooting one of them and the other moving off the land sorry it might sound a bit dumb to some of you but could do with pointing in the right direction cheers again mike

Are you sure you only see the same pair? Normally where you see one there's another 4-5 you don't see. Take a look around for slots browse damage etc.

Last edited:
Some might say get on top of them now before they get a foothold! If they are spreading onto your patch they will still spread weather you shoot this pair or not. They can be quite challenging to manage and great sport but remember they are an alien species and can cause major damage!

So would you say it's safe to take either as they always travel together if I do take one would i see others ? I.e would there be 1 male with per say 3-4 females in his area I'm just trying to decide on which to shoot male or females? Sorry

General rule would be to shoot all while trying to avoid orphaning dependents. Managing muntjac by Charles Smith Jones is worth a read.

No norton Shropshire and I will do some more recon and make sure no orphans are created if I can I just hope that If I shoot the buck the does won't wander of my land to find a new buck

Shoot bucks less than 3cm antler on site, doe will draw in new bucks, you might get something nice turn up. To control population density shoot does.

shoot them all (if they don't have young at foot. there a pain in the a**e. I was a keeper in Norfolk and Suffolk. and once you get them there like rats get every where, munch game cover and young trees to ground level. and if you have been given the permission to shoot them, keep on top because if not the farmer may say "il find someone who will"

just my opinion, I don't want to offend any one, but ive had it, on one occasion me and my head keeper went out for a mooch and shot 27 between 2 of us in 3 hours or so.

it sometimes helps if you have a sense of humour, trouble is they never sell a lot of it in the classifieds ,:tiphat:

Just don't use V-Max bullets on them?! :rofl:

Muntjac - Managing an Alien Species is a great book mate packed with info on the little darlings. Out of interest what is the landowners stance on them, control or wipe out, lol!! Or is it like me recreational and occassional for the freezer?

It's reckoned that you only see, on average, 10% of the muntjac that are actually on your land. I sat in a highseat two weeks ago and saw 7, comprising a family group and 3 bucks chasing one poor doe, within 200 yards of me on last light. Just too dark to shoot any of the blighters!! We have a lot of Muntjac!!!

Cheapest I could find at the moment but they sometimes come up second hand on ebay and on here mate,

Stratts

Muntjac: Managing an Alien Species: Amazon.co.uk: Charles Smith-Jones, Ashley Boon: Books

Too be honest I'm lucky enough to have all the deer control at my leisure under a no pressure farmer and family friend so at least I have time too study and not have someone in my ear and on the phone asking why they are still walking around the land lol the farmer see's them as no threat and actually likes seeing them so I thank my stars about that and I'll keep a look out for the book thanks again

MM, being a relative newbie myself, you may wish to consider their breeding cycle, where a doe being closely followed by a buck is very likely to have a small dependent fawn close by?

So to shoot the doe may leave the fawn? The buck if possible may be a more humane choice?

Your choice to make? Not easy due to their secretive nature and active style?

I love them, brilliant little survivors? :old:

Back