Licence refusal

barrym3

Anyone no rough figures it is to appeal a refusal in scotland and any good solicitors you guys can reccomend for this sort of thing Basc is useless no help what so ever

Heard good things about this guy but luckily never needed his services myself
Home
not local to you but might be worth a call if only to get a bit of free advice over the phone.

David McKie at Levy and McRae in Glasgow is the boy to sort things. It'll cost you a bob or two but he knows the score and gets the job done. I believe he is the SGA and SCTA solicitor as well.

There's a boy I'll be seeing in the morning who had personal experience and I can ask him what sort of costs he's talking about. I'll PM them to you.
Suffice to say he has his guns!

Medical reasons mate but it was over 5 yrs ago

Did you just tick the yes box or did you give a lengthy explanation of the circumstances, times, dates, medication,duration, time since last treatment etc?

Ticked box gave medical report which said am fine and not been to doc since that but over 6 1/2 months to get a answer good guy at countryside alliance said thinks a complaint with the timescale and I should appeal as it was 2008 nothing since and only other record is motoring from yrs ago

My mate moved to scotland and when he did change of address and told them he saw his doctor 8 years ago for depression the police turned up at his home and removed all his guns. He got no help from basc , he took police scotland to court and the week before it was due in court he was assessed by the police doctor and it never went to court and he got his guns back and a solicitor's bill of £1200. He tried to get his costs back from police scotland , no chance, but you got his guns back.

There is a real issue with this, the elephant in the room, as some would say.

So you go to the medico for depression and they sort it out. You get a clean bill of health. Then some time later when you fill in an FAC renewal and declare it you get that FAC revoked.

So the lesson is?

If you have an FAC and then get depression don't go to the medico for help as if you do you might lose your FAC on next renewal. Absolutely crazy that a safeguard that is in place actually could encourage people, with depression and owning firearms, not to then seek medical help.

And this is meant to make it more certain that people with an onset depression don't remain in possession of firearms?

Madness!

Last edited:
+1 amazingly they don,t grasp the fact, the person concerned had depression and they did not know, until he told them, a bit like closing the door after the horse has bolted . I can understand for public safety, but a change in the system is required, where face to face interviews need to be in place, so people feel they can seek help without being penalised, with a qualified person not your FLO who,s only qualification seems to be that you follow the current CC line.

So you go to the medico for depression and they sort it out. You get a clean bill of health. Then some time later when you fill in an FAC renewal and declare it you get that FAC revoked.

So the lesson is?

If you have an FAC and then get depression don't go to the medico for help as if you do you might lose your FAC on next renewal. Absolutely crazy that a safeguard that is in place actually could encourage people, with depression and owning firearms, not to then seek medical help.

And this is meant to make it more certain that people with an onset depression don't remain in possession of firearms?

Madness!

+1,

So the lesson is?

Madness!

+1.

I actually disagree. I don't want depressed people with access to firearms. I would be supportive of doctors having to notify the police if a FAC/SGC holder approached them with depression.

The 'good' to public safety (and to the benefit to other shooters if you do something daft) is bigger than any individual wanting to keep shooting.

If that means more people having their guns taken off them and more certificates refused it's positive for the rest of us.

Look at Bird and Atherton where warning signs were ignored. That reflects badly on all of use with a FAC/SGC whether we like it or not.

Back