Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Other wildlife

Other wildlife

We all have special memories of other wildlife we have encountered whilst out stalking, but I just wondered what other people have seen.

I have two memorable moments amongst a fair number. The first was a Golden Eagle not far from Tomatin just south of Inverness. I was stalking Red Stags in the rut, and after gaining some height came into a large beat bog complex. Some of you may know what I mean "Runners", In this case they were very deep, and coming round the corner of one high up on the tops, I walked slap bang into a Golden Eagle on a rock about 20yds away. As it had its back to me I stopped in a instant, and at the sametime it swivelled its head round opened its huge wings and silently glided off the top.

This was about 15 years ago now, and of course no camera, and if I had I doubt if I would have had time to take a snap.

This year I had another magical moment on one of my leases in Scotland. Stalking early in the morning along the rivers edge with my Bavarian, just as the light was coming up, with a slight mist along the floor, I walked slap banh into a huge dog Otter. I dont know who was the more suprised my Bavarian or the Otter.

Brilliant!!! I just stood there speechless, with a big smile on my face. I did not take a deer that morning, but who cares, memories like this put a picture in your mind that lasts forever.

One of fondest moments regarding other wildlife was a few years back when feeding the pheasants one morning l walked out of the bottom of the wood where there was a large drainage ditch which for some reason l always had a look in and to my surprise like you Malc l came face to face with an otter l was gob smacked a wonderful moment that will always be with me.

I was feeding the partridge on our shoot, as I climbed a fence there was a large black cat next to the pen, about large labrador size.

Funny, as soon as I saw the heading I though of otters. Plenty of them around here. Spotted this one from my front window and watched as he swam ashore and went fast asleep in the seaweed. I sneaked down to the beach and got to within about 20 feet of him and watched him for about 15mins before he woke up, shook and went back to fishing. He was totaly unconcerned. Wonderful! Pic is a bit out of focus as I hadn't got the hang of my new lens, sorry.

I see them regularly from the house as well as seals, dolphins, porpoises, sea eagles, goldens...all magical moments.

Good stuff Drew. You are lucky with all that around you.

During my time in the Royal Navy I saw many amazing creatures from Manatees to Gentoo penguins. The most memorable was the time we spotted a pod of Killer Whales attacking another group of whales. One of the Bridge Officers informed me that the other whales were infact 'Pygmy Sperm Whales' They were not far off the size of the Killer Whales but had that Moby Dick look you associate with their larger cousins.
    The Pygmy Sperm Whales had formed a tight protective ring around their calfs with their bodies and were trying to keep the Killer Whales out. The Killer Whales took it in turns to ram the whale wall and get the Male Sperm Whales to break off and persue them. When the Sperm Whales were almost exhausted by this 'Sea Scrum' two of the Killer Whales smashed up through the bottom of the Sperm Whales defensive ring and in doing so flung the young calves out into the waiting jaws of the Killers massed all around them. Its an odd site seeing a half ton baby whale flying through the air!
    Our Captain put the ship's bows into the fray and the sailors watching threw everything that came to hand down on to the Killer Whales. It was a bit late to help the Sperm Whale calves and really what business was it of ours anyway. Its nature. It was very exciting though, certainly made you want to stay out of the water!

I was out stalking with a friend a few years ago on local land, Was wearing my new at the time deerhunter realtree jacket & trousers when what i think was a sparrow hawk or something along that line ( to be honest im not that clued up with birds of prey) Attempted to land on my head It was only because i moved at the last min that it turned away. My mate was in stitches. a great experience tho
    The realtree obviously worked a treat

That our you had a bird table on your head Nick!

Well it is known that i attract the odd bird

Last year whilst calling foxes,a barn owl that was sat on a post 150 yards away and 100 ft above us swooped down.
    It hovered no more 12 inches above my head for over a minute and was looking for something to pounce on. I was led in the grass waiting to take out a big dog fox that had been killing birds on the shoot.

My friend ( a gamekeeper)and I were laughing so much despite being on the edge of a head full of talons,, but it was unphased. It eventually flew up into a dead tree 30 yards away and watched us for 15 minutes or more