Thread: lowest

out of interest what is the lowest grain 243 round that can be purchased
    looking for the best round for sound being reduced with use of a Roedale delta ultralight mod for the foxes on a night time
    rather than taking 22.250
    thank you

55gn I believe.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

I did think it was that but wasn't sure if 55 or 68 for factory ammo
    thank you

55gr seems to be the lightest.

But I'm really not sure it's the quietest - at least in factory ammo. Rounds that light in factory loads are often moving at substantially over 3000 fps, and to my ears make a much louder crack than a slower moving 100gr.

Since the mod only deals with the sound of the powder igniting, and not the crack of the bullet in flight, I suspect you'd actually get less noise with a slower bullet - ie. a heavier one.

Totally agree as t the fact you CANNOT silence a high velocity round but trying some sako 100gr tomorrow so will let you know the outcome
    again thank you

Heavier and slower the better

thanks all defo a help

The speed of sound is about 1100 feet-per-second which creates a problem for most cf rifles.
    A .22 rimfire with `shorts` at about 900 fps works well.

Get some Trail Boss and develop a sub sonic load for your 22-250

Lapua do a 200 grain sub sonic .308 round.
    You would need a heavier bullet rather than a lighter one, to give you enough energy down range.