Would you

I think you've hit a very valid point there buddy ;)

Just a thought but if doing this presumably you'd transfer the rifle off your ticket to your rfd (then it gets transferred to the receiving rfd). If the rifle is returned to you and not bought you would need to apply for (and wait until you get) a variation to have your rifle back.

Bought a few guns by rfd. Only question would be what happens if the gun gets damaged in transit or something? Think I'd want a deposit at least

A long time ago I sent a Ruger 223 that wouldn't eject back for repair. It came back eventually ejecting and damaged. No-one would take responsibility for the damage. I didn't have a photo confirming the as new condition it left me in.

With the benefit of digital cameras, I now take photos of high value kit being boxed up for despatch or being unpacked on receipt.

Regards

JCS

Just how much risk is there here, if the buyer pays for the rfd to rfd both ways up front can't see there is
that much of a risk, just like most gun shops will sell you a rifle if you pay with a cheque, if it bounces or he
doesn't pay then the charge is obtaining a firearms by deception, so prison time, and the police will be all
over the buyer to get it back.
Would I do it, probably, but I would be suspicious of any buyer that wasn't prepared to travel to look at a a
rifle they wanted to buy, to me the RFD service is for buying new guns only.

Neil. :)

Neil. Edinburgh to Kent and back. Don't be daft. Regards JCS

I can see both sides. Had a Boss, once, sent to Powell's when they were in Birmingham, from a well known, not a shop I'd add, guy that still advertises best guns in the Shooting Times.

On approval. This was some twenty plus years ago I'd add. Called Peter Powell and he just said "Come and see me".

When I got there his comment was that it was an insult to him and to me as the buyer to send such a gun for consideration for purchase! So it went back without more than a five minute handling.

Now imagine if I'd actually punted the money up front for it and then tried to reject it...

So I can see the other side. Especially with "custom" or "bespoken" weapons.

There used to be another guy that sold pistols and revolvers. Ex-army Major. He always used to telephone to ask for such and such pistol or revolver to be sent to him on approval. An on the telephone before it was sent ask for a discount. Which you would give.

Then when it arrived it was always "not quite the quality he thought it was and he'd offer only XX for it instead of YY. And wanted more money off.

So back it came. A real PITA and postage too.

Most of the trade, after that time, then got wise to it (we used to talk to one another) and if he then telephoned just used to say that they didn't think it was "quite the quality he thought it was" and so they'd save him the trouble and not send it to him from the first off.

So again the other side is that this can be a device to try to apply leverage to get a price reduction beyond the agreed price.

Personally I'd maybe now say come to my place and see it and if you don't like it then don't buy it but if you do and buy it at my price I'll pay half your petrol costs or some such.

Neil. Edinburgh to Kent and back. Don't be daft. Regards JCS

I'm not daft, if you want something bad enough you go and buy it.
But if it's a good deal that must have, and you don't or can't travel for it, then you pay and take the risk.
Either way it's the buyers risk, not the sellers, or should be.

Neil. :)

I've just posted my accuracy international on trust to someone, its off my ticket but not a penny has been paid,he has my permission to put it on his ticket and take it out and make sure he's happy with it. if he doesn't like it I've said i'll have it back, he just has to send it back to my rfd and we'll sort paperwork.

I've always paid up front for rfd-rfd purchases myself and only ever had one bad rifle turn up, that was from someone on airgun bbs.

I have bought guns from a couple of gun dealers via "parcel farce" and my local dealer, the way it was done was....

Gun advertised at £600.00, pay £600.00 with a guarantee to refund this amount less postage if the gun is returned.

Photos taken before the gun is dispatched (can be e-mailed) condition disputes dealt with before anyone sends anything.

happy days.....

I would have no worries and have done this myself both ways as its going to an RFD so not to the guys own cert ,i would give instructions that the rifle was for viewing only unless price is agreed for sale. i would agree with HIS RFD that he was to pay the RFD'S both ways should he not wish to buy . maybe his RFD could hold the cost of this as a refundable amount, but as said without some trust you could end up not selling said rifle.:tiphat:

A common courtesy in the US, especially in the higher end trade, is to allow a three day inspection. The buyer pays the full price, but can inspect the firearm to see if it is as advertised. Some permit shooting it, some not. If the buyer decides to return the firearm, he pays full shipping and insurance.

Because of the interstate shipping rules falling under federal jurisdiction, if you are not going to shoot it, then you should not actually take possession and fill out the transfer paperwork, but just have the dealer return it. That is a safer proposition, too, to never have it leave the dealer unless and until the buyer accepts it and the funds have cleared.

I am the other member mentioned in this post.. Yes I asked for an RFD to RFD transfer. AsI do not reside closer to Keith for FTF exchange. I was of the opinion that this was the best way to conduct transfer. I did offer to pay all the RFD charges. Having purchased a number of firearms, all have been done through RFD with no money changing hands until both parties happy.
Then I tried to buy this CZ..

Having read thecomplete posting there seems to be the question of my trustworthiness and integrity. Yes I wanted to check the rifle in the firstinstance. Why not ?

Look at listing for theCZ .222........ I am expected to take Keith's word that the rifle hasonly fired about 50 rounds.... it is 5-6 years old. In the posting hestates that someone !!!!! has removed the iron sights , so he is notthe only owner of the rifle, how many others have there been . So howcan he state I has tonly fired about 50 rounds .... How do I knowthat no damage has been done to the rifle when sights were removed...Only one side of the rifle stock can be seen... how do I know there is no damage to it. How do I know that the one shown is the one that I would receive .

OH YES..... HES TRUSTWORTHY AND A MAN OF INTEGRITY. ITS KEITH.... HE WOULD NOT DO THAT......Again how do I know..I do not know him . I am expected to take his word on that...

Then I would be left chasing him trying to get my money refunded.

I thought this had been concluded quite amicably. However Keith has obviously decided that he would like to discuss this to justify his actions so he took it to an open forum .
All this has done is cost him the sale that he was looking for.

David

Last edited:
I am the other member mentioned in this post.. Yes I asked for an RFD to RFD transfer. AsI do not reside closer to Keith for FTF exchange. I was of the opinion that this was the best way to conduct transfer. I did offer to pay all the RFD charges. Having purchased a number of firearms, all have been done through RFD with no money changing hands until both parties happy.
Then I tried to buy this CZ..

Having read thecomplete posting there seems to be the question of my trustworthiness and integrity. Yes I wanted to check the rifle in the firstinstance. Why not ?

Look at listing for theCZ .222........ I am expected to take Keith's word that the rifle hasonly fired about 50 rounds.... it is 5-6 years old. In the posting hestates that someone !!!!! has removed the iron sights , so he is notthe only owner of the rifle, how many others have there been . So howcan he state I has tonly fired about 50 rounds .... How do I knowthat no damage has been done to the rifle when sights were removed...Only one side of the rifle stock can be seen... how do I know there is no damage to it. How do I know that the one shown is the one that I would receive .

OH YES..... HES TRUSTWORTHY AND A MAN OF INTEGRITY. ITS KEITH.... HE WOULD NOT DO THAT......Again how do I know..I do not know him . I am expected to take his word on that...

Then I would be left chasing him trying to get my money refunded.

I thought this had been concluded quite amicably. However Keith has obviously decided that he would like to discuss this to justify his actions so he took it to an open forum .
All this has done is cost him the sale that he was looking for.

David

:thumb:

I am the other member mentioned in this post.. Yes I asked for an RFD to RFD transfer. AsI do not reside closer to Keith for FTF exchange. I was of theopinion that this was the best way to conduct transfer. I did offerto pay all the RFD charges. Having purchased a number of firearms,all have been done through RFD with no money changing hands untilboth parties happy.
Then I tried to buythis CZ..

Look at listing for theCZ .222........ I am expected to take Keith's word that the rifle hasonly fired about 50 rounds.... it is 5-6 years old. In the posting hestates that someone !!!!! has removed the iron sights , so he is notthe only owner of the rifle, how many others have there been . So howcan he state I has tonly fired about 50 rounds .... How do I knowthat no damage has been done to the rifle when sights were removed...Only one side of the rifle stock can be seen... how do I know thereis no damage to it. How do I know that the one shown is the one thatI would receive .

OH YES..... HES TRUSTWORTHY AND A MAN OF INTEGRITY. ITS KEITH.... HE WOULD NOT DO THAT......Again how do I know..I do not know him . I am expected totake his word on that...

Then I would be leftchasing him trying to get my money refunded.

I thought this had beenconcluded quite amicably. However Keith has obviously decided that hewould like to discuss this to justify his actions so he took it toan open forum .
All this has done iscost him the sale that he was looking for.

David

With the greatest respect David,
having purchased rifles and paid in full for them prior to recovering them I can understand your unease at doing so yourself.

however in a transaction of this type the risk is always going to fall with either the buyer or seller, if the seller is only prepared to send the rifle once it's paid for then that's his prerogative. Accept it or move on to another seller (or one closer to you).

to be fair to the seller, he didn't name you on this thread so no need to take it personally I'm sure he would have insisted on upfront payment whoever the buyer was (unless he knew them well).

all the best with your search for a rifle
mike

don't remember seeing any threads by jimnydriver doubting the character of someone wanting to sell him a rifle tho.... Names mentioned or not (he knew who it was and that the other would read it), the man's integrity was doubted publicly when it would have been just as easy to keep quiet and move on.... the fact that Dave had the brass to step up and face the situation places him pretty high on the list where integrity is concerned.... Maybe that's just my way of looking at it.....

I can see how someone may be reluctant to part with thier hard earned cash without seeing the goods but I've bought 2 rifles and a shotgun from this site without seeing them and taking the sellers word they're ok and they've all been exactly as described , great bunch of people we have here :)

I ONLY ASKED WHAT OTHER PEOPLE WOULD DO.

BUT If I am going to get accused of selling something I know nothing about here goes.

I know where and who this rifle was purchased from.

I know the guy who has had it in his possesion for the last few years

I know how many rounds it has fired because it was purchased with 120 rounds of ammunition and came to me with all the live rounds that were left and the empty cases that it had fired.

AND I know who took off the sights.

BUT did anyone ask

NO

DID I name names.

NO.

ANDI did offer to take the rifle to the Stalking Fair, which is 160 miles nearer to the other member than I live.

Last edited:
This is difficult because you just don't know who to trust, most shooting people are A1 and can be trusted but there is always a minority who cock it up.

As an example a good friend of mine bought a rifle from an internet forum, via RFD transfer. The rifle was advertised with a very low shot count even though it was a few years old, the seller said in this case that he only bought x amount of rounds when the rifle was new so the shot count was accurate & guaranteed and the rifle was a real shooter. When it arrived cosmetically it looked good but it didn't feed or eject well, however the worst problem was that it wouldn't shoot anything for ****. A bore scope revealed that it is extremely unlikely that the round count was accurate and had quite obviously been left uncared when wet on several occasions.

Buyers have every right to beware and I for one would not buy a rifle unseen unless I had good reason to trust the vendor.

Contrary to the remarks in my post. I did not have a problem with the description of the rifle given by Keith. I'm not saying that there were any problems with the rifle .
My point was that my credibility and integrity were being questioned but I was to accept someone elses without question.
It is a second hand CZ for £325 not a new gun not in original condition but had been altered. I wanted to view the rifle in the first instance. What was wrong with that.... neither of the RFDs would have released the rifle until they were satisfied that buyer and seller were happy.
In all probability I would have purchased it . With the deal being concluded between Keith and myself. However he chose not to proceed with the sale.

David.

Last edited:
I do not doubt Davids integrity.
I was just not prepared to send a rifle to someone I did not know But I was not sure I did the right thing, so I asked SD and over 90% of the people who answered my post would have done exactly as I did.

If David had asked about me he would have find that I have helped loads of members on here with their fridge problems for no charge at all, thats the sort of guy I am.
But its over and done now so thats the end.
Does anyone want to buy a CZ 222 cheap.

Back