priming problem nickel plated cases

delta wolf

Hi, I have just tried priming some nickel plated federal .308 cases with federal primers. I am using the old style lee hand primer. I have used this to prime thousands of federal brass cases without fault. Whilst about 1 out of 4 primes ok, 3 out of 4 I am unable to prime as the primer pocket is too tight. comparing with some brass cases I can push a primer part way in by hand but not on the nickel cases so there is some size difference. Has anyone had this problem and can I get over it.
Any suggestions welcome.

DW

Have you checked whether or not the original primers were crimped in place? If you've any cases which you haven't de-primed, give them a check for a crimp holding the primer in place.

If you've got lots of cases with crimps, you might want to borrow one of these - RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo 2

Regards

JCS

Last edited:
JCS
Pretty sure they are not crimped, it just seems that the extra fraction of size caused by the nickel plating stops the primer seating. Strange thing is that the odd few prime normally.

DW

Have you checked whether or not the original primers were crimped in place? If you've any cases which you haven't de-primed, give them a check for a crimp holding the primer in place.

If you've got lots of cases with crimps, you might want to borrow one of these - RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo 2

Regards

JCS

I have a lot of nickel Feds , I swage them all anyway as they are a little variable , also I find some primers are a little larger than others .Swage them all-- it's easier in the long run.

Nickle cases are NOT crimped, but plating sure f--ks up the brass. Switch primers or get a Lyman primer pocket reamer and prepare to sweat. A Swager might help but it didn't on some Remington 280 cases I reloaded a while back. Plated brass sucks, royally.~Muir

Plated brass sucks, royally.~Muir

+1 I have never got my head around why reloaders use them. There has been talk about them not being kind on dies, trimmers, deburrers and primer pocket uniformers. If they were that good why are we not seeing more (any??) bench rest boys using them. I suppose they just look good - but not if you are a vampire, were wolf or zombie.

Thanks for all the replies, guess I will try different primers and swaging as it seems a shame not to use them.

DW

Quick update for interest. I have just used a lyman primer pocket swager on these. There was a real variation in size of pocket, some the tool slipped straight in and removed nothing, some were really tight and the swager removed some metal. After doing 50 I primed them with the usual federal primers and whilst the odd one was a little tight, they are all now done.
Thanks for all your replies, I would have hated throwing them!

DW

Back