Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: orf in deer

orf in deer

having picked up a young lamb for my son to rear fed it last night and found out it has orf.. As yet it has been kept away from my other sheep and as it has been reared in a shed when the scab drops off and all the bedding destroyed hope fully contained. So far from the people questioned no one can tell me if orf is transferable to deer I have a hand reared fallow doe who is tamer than my dog and originally the lamb was to be kept in her enclosure as it is fox proof that's now changed so this is just for my interest.

I cant answer your Q but I do know orf is zoonotic.

Here's a link about the disease to save someone else the googleing I just did to find out:

I've seen some references to a parapox virus for red deer, but not to orf. I'll keep looking though.

I don't know for certain , normally seen in sheep and goats can be transferred to humans most usually those who are in the habit of handling sheep or goats, would imagine that it's possible for deer to catch it , whether it's easily transferred or not I don't know.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Orf is a highly contagious pox virus which normally affects sheep and goats. However it can affect other species including man and deer. The scabs which fall off can remain viable for long periods of time so need to be careful regarding contact with other species from the affected animal. Hope this helps Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I'd seen that one they didn't do E-M so it might not be true orf!

the lamb is currently kept at my home address that is a mile away from where I keep my other livestock so if I burn all the bedding from the shed and wait till the scabs are healed hopefully I should be ok thanks for all your replies..

Had orf a few times from sheep on my hands whatever you do if you catch it dont burst the blisters or pick the scabs as it just makes it bigger and throbs more....atb scott