Bratton sound twin lock cabinet key mnemonic. Top-notch trick!

Alantoo

Not exactly a stalking tip and I realise this admission may indicate my lack of common sense and intelligence, but just in case it reduces any body else's minor irritation when unlocking a twin lock Brattonsound Cabinet...

For the best part of 10 years I put up with the irritation of having to try both keys in the first lock when opening my cabinet, and of course half the time it was the wrong one…I tried memorising the key shape which was not successful, marking with felt tip which came off rapidly, finally Eureka! I filed a notch in the rim of the upper lock key which I can find instantly with my thumbnail and don't faff around trying the wrong key any more.

In order to further remind myself which is the correct key I realised that "top notch" was easy to remember… :)

Alan

Not exactly a stalking tip and I realise this admission may indicate my lack of common sense and intelligence, but just in case it reduces any body else's minor irritation when unlocking a twin lock Brattonsound Cabinet...

For the best part of 10 years I put up with the irritation of having to try both keys in the first lock when opening my cabinet, and of course half the time it was the wrong one…I tried memorising the key shape which was not successful, marking with felt tip which came off rapidly, finally Eureka! I filed a notch in the rim of the upper lock key which I can find instantly with my thumbnail and don't faff around trying the wrong key any more.

In order to further remind myself which is the correct key I realised that "top notch" was easy to remember… :)

Alan

don't worry Aan.

some of the smart R's on here still cant find there way home without calling there wifes.

bob.

Better than the bit of insulation tape around the shank of one key that I used to use as an identifier. That just unpeeled itself occasionally.

:lol: Thanks Druid, I feel slightly better now :D

Totally agree Bob, a most helpful tip. Can't believe I couldn't come up with a better solution than Tippex in the last 26 years :doh:

I just dot punched mine the day i made the cabinet so i knew which was which,:D

I had four separate and different type of padlocks on the shotgun chest I made out of 3mm plate and 40 x 40 x 5 angle…I was paranoid that the police would not approve it unless it was distinctly overkill!

This "Home Office Approved" Brattonsound was bought because I feared they would be even more picky about housing FAC weapons and I at least halved the number of locks! Trouble was, it was always at home and the files were always at the forge :) then I remembered the file on my swisstool multitool thing!

Ah yes! the tippex and the tape, I knew I had forgotten some of my failed experiments!

As the cabinet sits in the dark in a cupboard and the keys are in the safe above, being able to identify it by feel has worked well.

Alan

Ah yes! the tippex and the tape, I knew I had forgotten some of my failed experiments!

:rofl: At least you persevered Alan. Thanks for braving the likelihood for smart R's replies; the next time a 'top-up' is required, I at least now have a less messy and longer-term solution :thumb:

I had four separate and different type of padlocks on the shotgun chest I made out of 3mm plate and 40 x 40 x 5 angle…I was paranoid that the police would not approve it unless it was distinctly overkill!

This "Home Office Approved" Brattonsound was bought because I feared they would be even more picky about housing FAC weapons and I at least halved the number of locks! Trouble was, it was always at home and the files were always at the forge :) then I remembered the file on my swisstool multitool thing!

As the cabinet sits in the dark in a cupboard and the keys are in the safe above, being able to identify it by feel has worked well.

Alan
They are picky with firearms cabinets i am lucky to have use of a press and laser so i can do them like shop bought but with better steel,

They are picky with firearms cabinets i am lucky to have use of a press and laser so i can do them like shop bought but with better steel,

Neat metalwork!

Is that Fablon beize lining? Sticky backed velour?

I always fancied making a steel door with multi bolts articulated off a single lock/lever. There are some incredible ornate ones in the V&A and the Rouen metal museum…would only take a few weeks/monthsyears to make and would save me a lot of time not having to fiddle with two keys whenever I wanted to open it!

Alan

it's not sticky back it's just the hard wearing office carpet and i use strong spray glue and it works a treat,atb wayne

ah wait here it is now,

cant find the pics with my skins on the wall and the 20 plus gun cabinet,but its coming on nicely and i have talked the wife into letting me have some mounts up in the living room as its fashion,lol

A few years ago a pal of mine rang to say I can't make it today I've lost the keys for the gun cabinet.
"Use the spare set!"
I can't they're locked in the cabinet!:banghead:

I've just got a touch of man cave envy!!!

Snap.

I'm looking at new houses at the moment and they just don't have what it takes to provide the framework for a good man cave. Space for my shooting stuff has made it on to the 'essential' list but I won't come close to anything like this. Not for another ten or fifteen years anyway.

Cracking tip about filing a notch. I feel like a jailor when getting my kit out so that will help no end. Off to make my mark now in fact...

Back