Renaissance wax

paultap

I am sure that quite a lot of us are familiar with Renaissance wax. But for those who aren't, this product is reportedly used by museums to protect a whole host of valuable items including firearms, it is a microcrystalline wax which when applied and buffed, leaves a hard colourless coating that seals out moisture and oxygen and which greatly helps to prevent corrosion and water damage. It also protects against corrosive finger prints on metal work. it has been found to be longer lasting and gives a much better level of protection than the usual method of applying oil as a rust preventative.

It can be used on wooden stocks also and when applied to the whole of the surface of the stock (including under the action etc) helps to prevent the stock from absorbing water, which is very handy in a downpour!

The wax can be removed with white spirit etc if the need should arise , the coating can be periodically topped up to ensure full protection.

For anybody wanting to give their classic wood stocked blued rifle a better level of protection , then this product is a very affordable solution to an age old problem.

There are various tests etc and quite a lot of information about Renaissance Wax on YouTube and Google.

I have no financial link to this product by the way!

Hope this thread helps.

Last edited:
Excellent stuff!

I make up my own from a recipe that was in a museums supplies catalogue, Frank Joel, if I remember, now gone sadly. It uses 3 parts microcrystalline to 1 part polythene wax and loads of white spirit...more than 80%. You melt the polythene which has the higher melting point then add the microcrystalline then when it is just a clear liquid pour into the white spirit stirring like mad.

The Renaissance wax sold by Picreator which (Frank Joel reckoned was to the same formula) is very costly relative to the component parts. 14 pounds a small tin at a time when I could buy the bits for less than 50p.

It does go a long way though, so a small tin from Picreator is probably the most cost efficient way of trying it to see if it is suitable for your purpose.

I use it for virtually everything! From fire tools and other domestic metalwork I make, through furniture and wood floors. I even made up a softer leather salve version by mixing in some Lanolin.

A combination of black and blue coloured shoe polish to reduce the visibility of scuffs and scratches and a protective wipe over of Renaissance is great for blued barrels.

The advantage over bees wax based polishes is the higher melting point. At room temperatures bees wax is quite tacky and dust adheres to it.

The advantage of bees wax based polishes is that they have more "creep" than Renaissance and will self-heal.

Back