Trouble metering N160

charadam

My Chargemaster is away for repair, so I am using my old measure and scales.

I am a recent convert (about 18 months) to N160 and used it extensively through the Chargemaster with absolutely no issues. Had never measured it through a manual measure.

I doesn't seem to like metering in my Lee measure and I have had to shake rattle and roll the operating lever to get anything like consistent charge weights - to the extent of up to -3 grains below target.

So I am back to trickling and weighing every charge.

Any ideas?

There used to be an external knocker or tapper incorporated in the design of some powder measures made years ago for just the very reason that you mention. Unfortunately some powders don't meter as well as others but with practise you will become more consistent with regard to thrown weights. Personally I can't live with that and throw slightly under and trickle the remainder of the charge.

No joking but I think they used to recommend hitting the side of the powder thrower with a wooden spoon in the past so as to settle the powder after every throw. maybe worth a try.

Last edited:
I am surprised as Lee's measure is supposed to be quiet good with these stick powders. Maybe the thing needs disassembling and a good wash in warn SOAPY water to rid it of any static that may have accumulated?

If not buy some of Lee's Popeye's pipes and use them then trickle. Or just dump from the measure you have direct to the scale and trickle the rest in. So set a deliberate undercharge.

i have the same problem with vit 165 not metering so now i just use a lee dipper and trickel the rest in i find its the best way for me spot on powder loads every time

My Chargemaster is away for repair, so I am using my old measure and scales.

I am a recent convert (about 18 months) to N160 and used it extensively through the Chargemaster with absolutely no issues. Had never measured it through a manual measure.

I doesn't seem to like metering in my Lee measure and I have had to shake rattle and roll the operating lever to get anything like consistent charge weights - to the extent of up to -3 grains below target.

So I am back to trickling and weighing every charge.

Any ideas?

Move the handle without regard to cutting grains. If it 'crunches' so be it. Any irregular vibration or movement will cause gross inaccuracies. I hate the stand Lee provides because it wobbles when metering stick powders. It's very difficult to get consistent throws that way.~Muir

I used my Lee measure without serious problems for about 25 years before the arrival of the Chargemaster.

The N160 difficulty is new to me.

Sorry, Muir, but banging and rattling the thing was the only way to get anything near consistency.

I had the thing apart for cleaning before I brought it back into use and yes, I am certain it is assembled correctly.

It must be the powder bridging in the unit but I have used many stick powders in the past without this difficulty.

Ah well lump and trickle it must be.

scoop it!

I ditched the Lee thrower in favour of a scoop of suitable size
didnt have any issue with N160 per se, just didnt get on with it
I only have to trickle maybe one in five and I dont have to do it at any specific bench

I have just had the same problem with N-130 and my RCBS measure, ended up scooping and trickling.

Neil. :)

No problem with my perfect powder measure for N140 which is the same extruded tubular structure as N165, very accurate throws. How tight have you got the side screw set?

I have the side screw set so that the lever operates with a 1lb weight hung from it, as the manual directs.

I have tried it tighter and looser neither of which help the metering situation.

I just tried my Lee measure with N140 and N160 and found that the N140 metres more consistently. With that powder, over 10 throws I got an extreme spread of 0.3grn. With N160 the spread was 0.7grn.
When I'm reloading hunting ammo I always throw light and trickle up anyway. The only ammo I load using straight thrown charges is 303 military equivalent which I use through my Lee Enfields for plinking/paper punching.

I had some trouble metering N160 in a thrower. Some one on here advised to fill the hopper and don't let it drop below half full. Also, don't tap.

This sorted it out for me and I now get consistent throws. However, I throw below weight and then trickle up to weight.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Not N 160 but I was reading this thread and thinking of powder measures. My $25 Lee, with it's faults, is still far more accurate than the Redding BR-3 "Precision Match" measure I have that retails for $267. For that matter, Lee scoops are more accurate. Sometimes you don't get what you pay for. FWIW, the Neil Jones Precision measure I have, which is insanely accurate with coarse powder, has a note in the instructions that once the hopper is full, you thump the side of the hopper a couple of times to settle the powder, the proceed. It seems to work.~Muir

Back