Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mange?

Would my more learned friends be able to help me with confirming whether the two foxes I shot this evening were just starting to shed their winter coats or whether they have mange?

Oh dear, but thanks, that would make sense.

+1 You should probably be looking for the dens.

Yep.cubs for definate.

As above - cubs. Don't forget though, that it is highly unlikely that they will be left to fend for themselves - most mother vixens will not venture above ground until after the cubs have weaned - they will also have the dog plus one or two 'helpers' - typically sisters or daughters, supplying food.

Thanks gents and Paddy for the reassurance!

looks like there here again then, early as usual, i have only had dog foxes last couple of weeks, seems a tad early, but mother nature knows best , can't hold back time or tide as they say.

They look in good condition though, apart from the obvious additional recent ventilation

Yep, cubs for sure!

This fox was shot on 20th March, 10years ago and her cubs were already venturing above ground so it's not really early- just within the normal range. It was my first fox with a rifle, first fox at my first ever shoot and is framed in my kitchen lol
    Was the first cubs I ever killed too- never a pleasant job

In milk, had the very same last night, Mike had been thrashing the bunny population on our new bit with the LR & had the frustration of seeing those headlamps pinching fallen bunnies before going out to pick up, my first visit yesterday to erect a high seat, for the centrefires, was topped out with an early bath after a good bag full of bunnies.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!