Ticks...!

Looks pretty effective judging by the video on their web site. Simple to use, robust and a handy format (e.g. replace car key fob). I have only just purchased a pair of tick-o-tom's, but would have bought this instead if I'd know was available. I just popped the tick-o-tom's into the first aid kit on my stalking belt and thought at the time that I wasn't sure how long the plastic would last before getting snapped/crushed. Thanks for sharing Uncle Buck. Seems they can be purchased via US eBay for around £7 delivered.

That looks spot on, i found the tom tool ok for decent size ticks but the micro ones dont work, might have to have one of these to try out,thanks wayne

You can buy a similar item from Clas Ohlson, it has a longer handle part and is very good quality. I bought a spare one last year, I think it was about £8.99. Very effective and easy to use especially on wriggling dogs!

Last edited:
You can buy a similar item from Chas Olsen, it has a longer handle part and is very good quality. I bought a spare one last year, I think it was about £8.99. Very effective and easy to use especially on wriggling dogs!

Been using one of these for donkey`s years , good for all size`s of ticks, brilliant piece of kit

Doesn`t get used as much since I`ve been using "Smidge"

tick_remover.jpg

Bob

Just bought a "Tick Key" from the dreaded eeebay for £5.99 including postage. Liked the idea I could attach it to my key ring.

I ordered a tick key from amazon, will post a review if I ever need to use it

A while back now we had a thread asking people to send off ticks collected in zip lock bags to test for lymes, it would be a good idea for here as we are spread right across the country and it would build a good picture of lyme's across the country, atb wayne

Have always used a tick-o-tom but wondering if anyone
has used The Tick Key how effective are they ?

Rgds, Buck.

I can't see that it would be as effective as an O'Tom. Just pulling would risk leaving the mouth parts in.

The reason the O'Tom works so well is that as you rotate the tick, the fine hairs which act as barbs are wrapped around the beak/mouth tube and so enable it to be released.

Alan

Thanks for the input guys as I said earlier I've always used a tick-o-tom,
but have also ordered a Key and will no doubt try it in due course.

Rgds, Buck.

It took a while to arrive but it's here...

IMG_1501.jpg

and it has to be the only bit of kit I've ever bought that I'm not eager to try out :D

I can't see that it would be as effective as an O'Tom. Just pulling would risk leaving the mouth parts in.

The reason the O'Tom works so well is that as you rotate the tick, the fine hairs which act as barbs are wrapped around the beak/mouth tube and so enable it to be released.

Alan
It dose look like there's a bit off pulling going on ,and your right its the rotation that breaks the grip ,with the lifting and the same time .I think I will stick to the O'Tom

Sadly had occasion to use mine this weekend. I was struggling to get a couple of very small ticks off using the O'Tom (maybe I'm just clumsy) so tried the key thing. Worked perfectly, really easy and didn't seem to leave any parts embedded. So far I think it's a good addition to the kit bag.

Back