Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One for the twitchers

One for the twitchers

Any ideas what breed of hawk this is.

I suspect goshawk and have noticed they may be nesting in the hollow of a tree nearby

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0023.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	39261

Hard to get a good luck on my phone , could it not be a female sparrowhawk ? Bad to get a perspective of size on little screen .

its A female sparrowhawk.It will not be nesting in A hole in A tree.They nest in the branches of the tree.ATB Adrian

I would think it's about a foot tall or more. Out with a client the other day and we were watching a pair tredding in the tree, then one of them flew down and went into the bowl of the oak tree.
    When they were flying around they were being harassed by rooks which didn't look much difference in size.

+1 for sparrowhawk

There are a few pairs of goshawks within a few miles of you so I am sure they are over your patch at some stage, a much bigger bird than a sparrowhawk.

Last edited by thomas; 17-03-2014 at 08:10.

Yep its a cracking sparrowhawk
    Enjoy yourself's later than you think !!

Couple more shots in daylight.

Listened to sparrowhawk and goshawk recordings and definitely sounded like goshawk and not sparrowhawk. I have watched them take woodpigeon and then come crashing down through the trees and making their call all the way to the ground.

I will start taking my digital slr camera with zoom lens and try to capture some close up pictures

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0053.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	404.6 KB 
ID:	39345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0055.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	400.9 KB 
ID:	39346

think you should have gone to speck savers ! that looks very much like a carion crow there ,and just to add sparrow hawk take woodys very regular
    Last edited by arron; 16-03-2014 at 23:27.

Quote Originally Posted by arron View Post
    think you should have gone to speck savers ! that looks very much like a crow there .
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink