Suffered from Depression?

Suffered from depression?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BunnyDoom

This is a subject that always pops up and I was interested to see how many people on the SD have been affected...

I'm talking about actual diagnosed depression from a professional (not when your team loses), but this can include depression, bereavement, post natal, post operative, etc.

I also thought it would be interesting to see how many have had a love one affected by depression.

if I set it up right the poll should be anonymous, but by all means post comments.

This is quite a tricky one

On one hand, removing the stigma and undoing the fatalism associated with depression is absolutely necessary, not just to ensure that everyone who needs it gets timely and appropriate help, but also because more balanced attitudes help sufferers live better balanced lives, which in turn aids recovery. So "coming out" about depression may be a positive step.

On the other hand, the prevalent attitude towards depression and other forms of mental illness is still characterised by suspicion, avoidance and mockery, which makes sufferers understandably wary of putting their hands up to identify themselves.

It'll be interesting, therefore to see how this poll goes, but I think it's likely that many will have reservations about trusting its anonymity.

For my part, I had a bad back for years, until it went completely and I couldn't walk. Then I saw an osteopath who sorted it out. Now I pop back every few years for a tune-up.

I also had undiagnosed depression for years, and it took a crisis to get me to look for proper help. This wasn't as neat or quick as osteopathy, but it's made a similar difference, and as with the back, I only wish I'd done it sooner.

As a certificate holder, I was initially worried that a diagnosis of depression could mean the end of my principal form of exercise and recreation, but fortunately both my GP and FEO took the view that my hobby was as therapeutic as my treatment, and time has proved them right, I think.

Indeed, it's hard to think of anything more counter-productive than taking the opposite view and causing individuals to avoid treatment for fear of losing one of the few pastimes that makes them feel they're still in touch with the truest part of their nature.

And no, I haven't voted. :D

This is quite a tricky one

On one hand, removing the stigma and undoing the fatalism associated with depression is absolutely necessary, not just to ensure that everyone who needs it gets timely and appropriate help, but also because more balanced attitudes help sufferers live better balanced lives, which in turn aids recovery. So "coming out" about depression may be a positive step.

On the other hand, the prevalent attitude towards depression and other forms of mental illness is still characterised by suspicion, avoidance and mockery, which makes sufferers understandably wary of putting their hands up to identify themselves.

:D

Another of society's hang-ups we have to get over is the assumption that anything other than contentment constitutes some sort of illness that can be medicated away.
While many people do have something wrong with their health, many more have something wrong with their lives. Unpleasant emotions may be unwelcome but they are not unnatural. We have evolved to feel fear, anger, sadness, anxiety etc. for a reason. If you drive a car without topping up the oil a red warning light will come on. Ignore that warning and catastrophic engine failure will result. Many people with mental "illness" are going through life with their warning light on and taking medication to blot out that light rather than pull over and address the real cause.
We don't seem to have a health system which recognises that fact but instead, in its eagerness to de-stigmatise mental ill-health, has convinced too many people that unhappiness is an illness which can be fixed with medical intervention.

Reminder! FEOs read this site and we know what the Police think about this medical condition....Sorry ,but it is a pointless poll and as Sikamalc identifies ..trouble for some. IMHO:-|

Having considered this for a while I am now locking the thread. Not because anyone should be ashamed if they have suffered from depression, but as we are deemed responsible people owning firearms it does leave us open, and we are bound to get uncalled for comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back