iPhone App - GB Grid Ref Worker

willie_gunn

I don't know about anyone else, but on one estate I am required to fill out a cull card for every deer that either I shoot or that a guest who I'm guiding shoots.

I have taken to using an iPhone app called GB Grid Ref Worker. It takes a GPS feed and converts the results into a 10 figure OS grid ref. It also allows you to take a photo (if required) and then you can send the result by email or text message.

I've no relationship with the developer but I have to say that I've found it very accurate and has saved me time faffing about with Streetmap. By taking the reading quickly it also helps remind me of time of shot, etc. and I can annotate the message with any relevant details (shot reaction, etc).

It's £1.99 which I've found to be money well spent. You can find it on iTunes: GB Grid Ref Worker on the App Store on iTunes

willie_gunn

Does it work where theres no signal, i get that the iPhone GPS generally always works but without some sort of signal, things like maps etc are useless..

Sounds like a good idea!

Does it work where theres no signal, i get that the iPhone GPS generally always works but without some sort of signal, things like maps etc are useless..

Sounds like a good idea!

The GPS function does not require any signal as it is all done via satellite. To send the email or text, of course, you would need signal.

I have found an app called Viewranger to be very useful. It allows you to download OS map tiles and you can then pinpoint your current location on it through GPS to help with navigation/marking where deer have been shot etc. No mobile signal required once maps are downloaded.

Back