Salt Licks

crookie66

I mainly shoot roe and fallow and was wondering
Does anyone use salt licks or pastes ?
Does it improve the standard of the heads ?
Does it pull deer into an area and hold them ?
If it is any good where should i get some from ?

Salt licks are a good addition to their diet. Some contain copper and other minerals lacking in their diet, which are suppose to enhance antler growth.

Downside is if you want to put salt licks out to attract Deer it wont be long before they get wise to the fact that their mates are dissapearing on the way to have a lick of that nice stone. (I speak from experience here)

If it is really for the sustained antler growth then you will need a few put out all over the ground you have. Red Rockies are what ive used and are designed with Deer in mind. these can be attached to trees via special brackets or put in shelterd areas. They are not small (10Kg) so it will need to be researched.

Pastes do wash off and ive seen aniseed sprayed onto trees, which did interest a Stag, it might of been a fluke!

Good agri suppliers will sell salt licks.

Hope this helps.

Cal

I have been told that some salt licks should not be used where sheep might have access to them.Anyone know which ones are ok and which ones aren't?

A friend of mine uses saltz paste (from bushwear I think) with aniseed to help pull the deer into an area that would allow a safe shot. He swears by it, especially when used with Alfalfa feed.

No, In sunny Kent. Well he was until February when he emigrated to New Zealand. Lucky swine!

I am not sure where he got his Alfalfa from but you can get Alfa A from scats and I think it is the same stuff. Looks the same anyway.

Andy L said:
I am not sure where he got his Alfalfa from but you can get Alfa A from scats and I think it is the same stuff. Looks the same anyway.

Scats???????

you may not have a Scats up near you Bagpuss. It is a chain of stores that sells all sorts of farm equipment, feed for domestic stock as well as dogs, horses and fowl. We have them down here in the south, but I have never seen them in Scotland or up north.

Sorry Bagpuss, I just assumed Scats was everywhere! You can probably get Alfa A from any good horse feed place as I think they use it as an energy feed for Hunters/Racehorses etc.

Beech Tar

I have used Beech Tar from Bush Wear Ltd for Wild Boar and that seems to work well, we put it on a 4'' rubbing post driven in the ground about a foot and they love it it's covered in hair and they have had it out of the ground on a couple of occasions. Just so happens we have a high seat 100 yards from it :evil:

WD

Just for your information, I have just found out that the name Alfalfa is used more in America than in the UK. I understand that it is known as Lucerne here.

Andly L. Your friend that has just gone overseas, was his initials C.H. First name Chris?

Sorry Malcolm, Don't know a Chris. There are so many jumping ship now that I am starting to feel left out!! The chap I am talking about is a Tom.

Andy

Tell me about it! A very good mate went over to visit a a good friend of us both earlier this year for a couple of weeks. Expressed a desire to may be kick this poxy country into touch if the right opportunity arose.
So they made a few enquires whilst he was out there. Bingo found a good job had a couple of interviews and was offered the position.

He emigrated in early June. Happy to be leaving for a bright new future in a fantastic country.

Some people have all the perishing luck!

All the decent countries will be full up before I get the bottle to up sticks and take the plunge. I feel admiration and a little jealousy to those that have the courage to do it. Big step!

Bagpuss
regarding your query on salt licks etc, If you do want to feed a lick make sure that if sheep are likely to come into contact with it it is one designed for the sheep. Sheep are particulary intolerant of copper which all other ruminant species need and is usually contained in large amounts in mineral blocks, my day job is a as a ruminant nutritionist.
if you want my honest opinion on mineral deficiency in most lowland deer, I would say that any affect of drawing animals in will be solely related to the availability of salt. So rock salt would give the best affect.

Humphrey said:
Bagpuss
regarding your query on salt licks etc, If you do want to feed a lick make sure that if sheep are likely to come into contact with it it is one designed for the sheep. Sheep are particulary intolerant of copper which all other ruminant species need and is usually contained in large amounts in mineral blocks, my day job is a as a ruminant nutritionist.
if you want my honest opinion on mineral deficiency in most lowland deer, I would say that any affect of drawing animals in will be solely related to the availability of salt. So rock salt would give the best affect.

Humph

Thanks for that. Rock Salt should be cheaper as well.

Deer & Salt

Last winter i witnessed muntjac eating the dirty contaminated grass from the verge of the road. Afterwards i wondered if it would have had anything to do with the gritters laying down salt.

Back