Ebay scam?

Hunting Solutions

I sell very, very little on ebay and our stuff is obviously not very desirable to your average rogue..

Today I get a buyer who joined ebay today and so has zero feedback, use the 'buy it now' to purchase an item for £130.00. He paid straight away via Paypal. Now his username is just a bunch of numbers, letters and full stops which strikes me as odd.

His address is showing as 'confirmed' by ebay.

I do some digging on the address and find that it is a stately home in the south with a current value of £20 million. The name of the ebay buyer is, according to Google, the actual owner of the property.

Also, this guy owns a very large company operating out of Dubai and has a personal net worth of £300 million.

Guys, please advise me: how does this scam work?

As it is a confirmed address, am I protected if I send the item?

Really got me this one!

Wait until the money is in your account before sending the item if you feel uneasy about it.

Check the money is actually in your PayPal account by logging into PayPal via the PayPal website. Did you say that you accepted returns on the auction? There is always a chance its legitimate I guess however I would be sceptical like you. It could be someone using false details however if the item is not getting sent to them I.e it will be going to the big house them I'm struggling to see the benefit for a scammer. If he asked you to now ship it to an unconfirmed address in Nigeria that would explain it....
Hmmmmm could be a genuine transaction

Where's the estate? Just the county.
Maybe a member on here will hand deliver it for you?
Sold lots on ebay and normally not a problem but have had a couple of issues.
Sometimes peoples accounts get hacked but as you have his contact details then ask him for a contact number as the courier will require one so as delivery can be made. Then phone the person to check.

Just spoke to my wife over this one as she has an ebay business,

She advises that you are protected by Ebay/Paypal , unfortunately Ebay will not accept the excuse that you did not trust the purchaser as a reason for not sending the Item, You can request to cancel the item but the seller may not accept and unfortunately due to ebay rules they can leave neg feedback but you can't. Send the item by recorded delivery so you can prove that it has been recieved, in the even t that anything does happen you have proof of postage.
There was an attempt to sting us recently while selling a spares or repair technological device, thankfully we sent it by international signed for.

Have you confirmed the address on ebay as well as paypal ?

hope this helps :)

Cheers Guys.

Everything seems to check correct! Confirmed address by both ebay and paypal saying okay to ship.

I don't consider myself in any way a snob, but I was just surprised that someone worth £300 mil would bother to register for the first time on ebay today just to buy a set of shooting sticks!

Hopefully I'll be covered and get them on the courier (signed for) first thing tomorrow. :cool:

Cheers Guys.

Everything seems to check correct! Confirmed address by both ebay and paypal saying okay to ship.

I don't consider myself in any way a snob, but I was just surprised that someone worth £300 mil would bother to register for the first time on ebay today just to buy a set of shooting sticks!

Hopefully I'll be covered and get them on the courier (signed for) first thing tomorrow. :cool:

Lol! You surely need £300 mil to consider spending that much on a set of sticks :rofl:

Sorry- I'll get my coat :)

Be aware that to benefit from eBay seller protection that items MUST be sent by an online verifiable delivery method with a proof of delivery. Just using "the post" or a Certificate of Posting is now no longer sufficient under eBay's rules.

Use either something like Parcelforce 48 or even DHL or Fed-Ex.

Cheers Guys.

I guess even the Saudi Royal Family have a wee trawl of Evil-Bay now and again and especially when they can't find what they want in the emporiums of Mayfair. That said the figure you quote would have to be the loose change they thought was needed to open a Pay-Pal account!

I suggest you add a selection of top end hawking accessories to your inventory and watch your sales really take off.

K

I could not think of a better sale, person buys now, pays immediately and has a verified account. Done and dusted. They have to start their account sometime with somebody.

For future I never sell to Italy. Or to Canada. Italy as the postal service is notorious for theft from it and Canada as Canadian Customs hold items for weeks if not months. So your buyer then files an non-receipt of goods and you end up without you sale item OR the monies paid for it after an eBay "clawback".

In fact nowadays I won't now sell outside of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

If your unsure transfer the funds out off paypal into your own account first that way they cant cancel and you know you have the money

then send them to the address thats registered with a Lettor attached with your details on (the sender) if its not legit they can get in touch with you

or find a contact number to the estate you never know it could be a dodgy keeper or worker there buying things un be known to the payer

Make sure when you send it you offer to control any deer which may be causing problems on his estate!

Back