Big dowell for shooting sticks?

SimpleSimon

I was out today and I saw some fairly wide diameter, long dowell. My question to the wise is this: is there any reason I couldn't use something like that to make a set of cheap shooting sticks?

Aye I've seen the recommendations for garden canes. I just saw the dowell today and, truth be told, thought it would look a bit nicer :oops:
If you fancy using the dowel mate go for it :) it should work just fine I just like the canes as they're pretty much indestructible

Only thing you might find is that they slap together and make more noise than the canes, I use to have a set but changed for the latter because of that reason, that said they do look nice, and some suitably placed rubber bushings or lashings of para cord to stop them coming together would stop that issue.

I use a 1.8m x 30mm rake handle; sawn down middle plus add a 1.7m x 20mm dowel as a third leg. The split handle is lashed with shock-cord and the dowel attached to the shock-cord with a heavy duty "cup hook". The set up is strong enough to sit on if you want to keep your arse off wet ground plus can be used by two people to drag a deer off the hill. (rope around middle then sticks held waist height between the two individuals , cart horse style. Works well and does not snap like B&Q poles when abused.

I've used hazel, plastic garden canes and doweling. to be honest they
are all much the same and will do fine.
With the exception of being able to dye the dowel whichever colour
you fancy Simon.

SAM_0990.JPGSAM_0991.JPG

1.8mtr. 21mm thick. Stained with Tudor black oak.
small piece of tube half way up stick stops slap !
Buck.:thumb:

Last edited:
Thanks folks, I reckon I'll give it a go. I was thinking shock cord lashing for the "hinge" as it can be slid up and down, replaced as often as needed and might hold them together a bit to stop slapping. It did occur to me that I might be able to stain/polish them for a nice look too.

You may find that Micronesian Ballabur Nut tree wood will make the best sticks.

Of course, you have to stain it with the blood of 4 virgin stoats that has been boiled at Stonehenge for 2 hours by a Druid at the summer solstice.

Or you could just buy some quad sticks from Limulus.

Seriously, best thing I ever bought (apart from the Tikka 695 that sits upon them).

You may find that Micronesian Ballabur Nut tree wood will make the best sticks.

Of course, you have to stain it with the blood of 4 virgin stoats that has been boiled at Stonehenge for 2 hours by a Druid at the summer solstice.

Or you could just buy some quad sticks from Limulus.

Seriously, best thing I ever bought (apart from the Tikka 695 that sits upon them).

Oh, thanks for the tip! So do you know anywhere in Worcestershire with good paid stoat shooting? Preferably with no shot fee if I have to get 4...

I used two dowels for years and they weren't thick ones, maybe 13mm. I used a massive 'O' ring to join them and a couple of lamb rings on them to stop them knocking together. I stained them in places and sealed with linseed oil. If you make some be sure to select the dowels carefully checking for knots and joints, if you have to use ones with joints then pick ones with joints near the end rather than in the middle.

I was using these when most people still used a single long stick. My first Head Stalker, Wally Oakman, showed me the idea and I suspect he may well have invented the double stick. (If invented is the right word for something so simple)

One day I found that one half was missing out of the back of my truck, no way they could have come apart without human intervention but everyone denied any knowledge of it so I just replaced it. A week or so later I had to go into my bosses office in the big house for some reason and found the cleaning lady getting cobwebs down with her newly extended camouflaged and bloodstained cobweb brush! I never said anything to anyone!

I now use Stoney Point double sticks which are great and not so awkward to transport but I would be happy to go back to the dowels or try the idea of one thicker dowel cut down the middle..

Glyn.

Last edited:
I have used the plastic coated canes from B & Q( £ 5.98 for 2 ) held together by a rubber exhaust hanger £1.00 at Exhaust repair shop.
The rubber is thick enough to be split into 2 pieces. Works a treat.
images

Or how about this one for a tripod.
images

David

Last edited:
I have used the plastic coated canes from B & Q( £ 5.98 for 2 ) held together by a rubber exhaust hanger £1.00 at Exhaust repair shop.
The rubber is thick enough to be split into 2 pieces. Works a treat.
images

Or how about this one for a tripod.
images

David

Why oh why did I not think of that :doh:
Many years ago I had a short cheap tripod for holding a fishing rod, just a simple triangle of rubber with three holes and three bits
of alloy tube, I have thought for ages it would have made a great tripod rest for the rifle. Next project sorted :D

Neil. :)

Bicycle inner tube cut lengthways so it's just a single layer is excellent for creating a hinge for shooting sticks. Difficult to explain in words but depending upon which way you wrap it around the sticks you can make them spring open or stay shut. So for example on my home made quad sticks (bamboo canes) the front pair automatically tip forwards when I deploy them.

Hi

As said 20-25mm or so bamboo cane also fit for purpose, with a 50mm hoover drive belt. Cycle inner tube wrapped around top 150mm prevents stocks scratching or slipping on smooth surfaces.
Stronger than the green plastic coated garden canes I have been using for years and replacing when buckled.
Will also take some weight, carrying or dragging - after all this stuff is used as scaffolding in parts of the world......

L

I went to a hardware store and bought two ash dowels 20mm dia I painted black and stippled in olive green drilled through each dowel 130mm down and used a plastic washer for a spacer then used a long button head cap screw and fastened together.
I Used some rubber tube for the bottoms and middle to stop them clanging and used double sided Velcro fastened on one leg which wrapped around the second for carrying a quick flick off and you were good to go, these lasted a good couple of years and were very light to use when i finally broke them carrying a deer out i went with making collapsible twin sticks for ease of transportation but that's the only reason, atb wayne

Last edited:
I like the exhaust hanger tip, might give that a go myself. My own quad sticks are hinged at the bottom with a stainless bolt and nyloc nut, the tops are help in place using a two rubber o-rings per side held apart with a small 'woggle' of black plastic tube. I find that not having the tops fixed means that you can move the rifle in the sticks should the target move, allowing a bit of panning left or right. Handy.

i have the same as micks above,and also a set fixed top and bottom and find them both excellent and easy to use

Back