Great day out

geoffrey

Last Tuesday Robin and i Decided to have a days fishing at Coltsford Mill fisheries Oxted Surrey, when we arrived at the venue a strong north easterly wind was blowing and very chilly, we started fishing on the Mill pool and i was soon into a nice 3lb rainbow, we then decided to fish the willow pool as it offered a little shelter from the wind which made casting easier.

after lunch the weather improved and the sun came out. Robin ended the day with three fish weighing a total of 11lb 6 oz and i with 8lb 2oz, feeling pleased with ourselves we walked back to the lodge when Robins mobile rang, the conversation went something like this , hello i saw your advert and was wondering if you would be kind enough to come and shoot our deer, we made arrangements to visit the farm the next morning and walked the boundary with the owned, we found plenty of fresh slots both roe and fallow, the owners said the in return for the stalking they would like one carcass per year, we asked if it was ok to use the quad for extraction, and the owner said that there was no need to bring the quad as we could use the farm mule, it was a nice evening so we decided to sit out and see what was about.

At last light a group of fallow came out of the forest and i picked out a sorrel with one antler and down it went, we extracted it with the mule took it back to the chiller and yesterday went back to the farm with the animal butchered, so thats the rent paid for this year. The land is close to Ashdown forest so plenty of deer in the area,

Well i don,t know about you but i think all in all it was a days fishing to remember six nice Rainbow trout , and 250 acres of prime fallow stalking,

For the fly fishers amongst you Coltsord mill is a lovely venue and well worth a visit.

Cheers Geoff

Back