Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Build In Less Than A Year?

Custom Build In Less Than A Year?

Who might I rely on, both in terms of workmanship and application, to procure & assemble the following components in less than 12 months?

1. BAT repeater action. (Model TBC.)
    2. Match grade barrel. (US manufacturer/supplier TBC.)
    3. Chamber in 6mm PPC.
    4. Sporter weight & style thumbhole laminate stock fully inleted, pillar and Devcon bedded.
    5. Sunnyhills floorplate and trigger guard.
    6. Jewell trigger.

Someone with a BAT action in stock is the obvious answer. I think the waiting list is 12-18 months if you order now.
    I think Callum Ferguson has some stock perhaps?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Try paddy croft in somerset. He pretty much built that rifle for someone i know in much less than a year.

Russ Gall maybe worth a try (RG rifles) Last time I spoke to him he was awaiting the arrival of a number of BAT actions. I don't know if they were spoken for or not.

Alternatively try Pete Walker, I may be wrong but I think he is an importer for BAT actions.

Come to Ireland, might get it done under half a year.
    From the custom actions that I bedded and fitted to stocks I liked Stiller the most, BAT did not impress.
    Certainly also preferred one of the UK custom actions.

Am the really chuffed owner of one of Callums' creations in 6ppc. Delivery was a year ago and it took less than 6 months - possibly less than 5 but he did have most of the bits in stock at the time. Single shot Borden alpine action, Krieger barrel with 1 in 12 twist and a Grodas stock. Up till now have been using 58gr vmax to great success but have loads for 65gr v-max and currently working on one for 75 gr vmax all giving silly grin accuracy. Speaking to him earlier this week I think the waiting time will be longer.
    good luck,

Paddy Dane (Danpd) of Dane & Co might be able to help, he's Kent based so not far for you to go for a looksee.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Is ppc a repeater? The 2 people that i know who use them have single shot rifles ( built by callum)

OHHHHHH a thread after my own heart
    Hi Klenchblaze ,
    I think we all agree that sourcing the components is the main factor with builds and you have a few good rifle-smiths out there to choose from!!!
    As for the 6PPC / What a cracking round and hope you dont mind this little bit of advice as in , go for the 1 in 12 twist ( just like someone has mentioned on here ) ...
    I bought a Sako 75 varmint in 6PPC USA which has a 1 in 12 twist - it shot awesome / 58 - 65 v-maxs shot fantastic ,so did 80 grain Noslers!!!
    When the barrel was done Callum re barreled it with a Kreiger 23 inch 1 in 12 twist - 270 neck barrel , i was using neck turned 220 Russian brass ( formed ) - 58 V-maxs @3500fps = awesome fox and mid range varmint round / 85 grain Nosler SPs @3100fps for Roe and Fallow does!!!
    I have hunted with this round for a few years and loved it!! Please PM if you want to ask about more experiences i have had with this cracking round
    All the best ..
    Last edited by interceptor; 25-03-2014 at 20:58.

Thanks. Very familiar with Callum's work but I'd like to be a little more 'involved' with this project so logistically a wee bit too challenging!

I'd certainly have another K barrel if I can get the preferred fluted profile that was not the case some 10 years ago.

I'm sure you are correct re twist rate but 23" seems a bit short if wishing to negotiate the challenge that is producing a deer legal load?

I've already laid down a supply of Superglue for the primers!

Last edited by Klenchblaize; 26-03-2014 at 07:49.