Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Bi-Pods

Using Bi-Pods

How many Bi-Pod users notice POI changes when using the Bi-Pod and changing the hold on the rifle?

Although I have had a this Harris Non Swiveling Bi-Pod for some years I have never used it stalking only on the range occasionally This afternoon I tried it on the 25-06 and holding the rifle as one would in normal shooting it was sighted in. I then tried it bench rest style pulling the but into my shoulder with the left hand and the POI changed up just over 1" with the POI moving high but still on for windage

The Bi-Pod has legs so it can be shot sitting, they are 23" extended and 13" retracted. This 13" is just too long for a comfortable prone position I the field on the range I can drop the feet over the front of the firing point and it's OK and 23" is not quite tall enough for a good sitting position as it means I am hunched up not good for the breathe control .

Do others find this?

Am thinking of taking it off again and just getign some shootign sticks instead .

I'd take the bipod off permanently. ......... Use your pack as a rest if prone or sticks if standing. The rifle will be much lighter, better balanced and easier to handle. As a general statement, and I know this may offend some people, bipods are a fad and a "must have piece of kit" for those who are not confident with their rifle............ the answer is practice, practice, practice and you will shoot better and in my opinion more accurately because you will "feel your rifle" - it will become part of you and not just something resting on legs which give you no feeling for the weapon at all.

Remember, you're not looking for 1" groups when shooting deer, you're looking for a well placed shot and a clean kill - big difference.

Brit, I think you may just have the wrong one! I use the 9-13" swivel type and it works fine. I tried the longer ones but find them just too unstable. I also carry 'quad' sticks which I can group almost as well as the bipod from! I tend to shoot about 80-90% from sticks because of the terrain, but will always use the bipod where possible as it takes many factors out of the equation including myself! I even prefer to shoot standing than kneeling or sitting as I find it so much more stable. You can't expect the exact POI either as stalking firing positions are rarely the same. However, by only using the bipod or sticks I am only using two methods effectively and I am happy that the POI is the same as I have tried it.
    Blot, I'm not sure too many will agree that a Bipod is a 'Fad'!
    I don't see many military snipers resting on their bergans!
    Next you'll be saying that you don't need a moderator as it is a 'Fad'!
    Quite obviously, a bipod and moderator are a 'must' on all modern stalking rifles!

I had never shot from bipod before taking DSC1 assessment last year... In my opinion, a bipod is just far too havy to carry around while stalking. I take a pair of sticks instead. I very rearly shoot prone anyway.

I have one of these You can shoot seating quite comfortably as well.

I can find no use at all for a bipod for lowland stalking or fox shooting. I would not entertain one.

The one place were they might be of use is on the open hill in Scotland where you generally have spotted the deer and stalked in. You would usually then have time to deploy and use a bipod.

Learn to shoot sitting and standing off sticks.

Thank you your answers even if you disagree

Now I have shot Muntjac using my day pack as a rest to good effect and for years I have used a single stick, one I made in about 97 out of Hazel with a small "Y" at the top and I made up a Nylon bottom and fixed it with 1/8" brass pins and glue hence the stick bottom is waterproof and wear resistant .

I have also shot of a triple set of sticks and they were most stable especially when waiting for the Buck to feed into the "right" position for the shot In fact I phoned my old stalkig mentor last night and discussed this stick issue with him. It was this triple stick set up that I used with him in Hampshire in 2003 to take an gnarled 4 Point Roe Buck. he like a lot of you made his for garden canes, the alloy plastic covered type , so it looks like a trip to Focus to have a look for them. We don't have a B&Q without a bit of a trek .

As for the Bi-Pod I am unsure as to whether to carry on and try to get used to it or religate back to the drawer where it was removing it will take off 14ozs and I agree that the movement of POI of 1" or just over is not major problem in stalking I was just wondering if anyone had a better technique to use when using a Bi-Pod .

My rifle shoots one centimetre lower at 100yds off the Harris than it does when resting on a rucksack or similar. Presumably a function of added weight and maybe also of the relative reflection and/or absorption of recoil. A point I bear in mind when choosing a convenient rest in the field, such as a gate or fence post, where I avoid resting the rifle directly on a hard surface. I find no difference in point of impact when shooting from sticks or similar, with or without the bipod attached.

If I'm out in the woods then the legs come off since they offer little advantage in the vast majority of circumstances. On the other hand, if I am in an area where the deer are as likely to be in the middle of 50 acres of stubble or plough then they go on without question.

As for the tripod idea, I find them more trouble than they're worth and nowhere near as adaptable in use as a pair of B&Qs finest.

Simple facts chaps. A bipod will in many circumstances be an exceptional aid to accurate shooting at all reasonable distances. If you find it hard to use one that's simply down to practice and repetition using that equipment. Being prone off a bipod will often alter you natural eye line position as you get into the aim which is what causes changes to where your bullet lands. It's an optical drift issue.

Like with sticks, if you have little practice you will fumble about trying to get them up and then manage them with the rifle. I use and carry sticks and a bipod fitted and would never rely on one or the other because situations vary greatly.

I also shoot with a heavy barrel rifle so my rig is heavy but knowing the advantages and confidence the set up gives me makes up for the weight ever time.

Practice and repetition, don't chuck it!

Like you I am in two minds about Bipods.

Hill Stalking

A lot of highland stalkers use them all the time. On the hill most shots are taken from prone position and tend to be 100 yds plus - often a shot is taken at 150 to 200yds. Where I started stalking in the highlands, every body used bipods as just about all shots where prone.

If the ground cover is not deep heather / bracken then a bipod gives you a fast and stable position. Many stalkers will also use a bipod on the estate rifle for guests, as frankly shooting off a bipod is easy and for a novice / inexperienced shot takes away a lot of uncertainty.

On the final crawl in, having a bipod on the rifle means one less thing to worry about - trying to crawl with a rifle and a bag / rest just adds to the faff.

But most rifles will shoot slightly differently with a bipod to one without. Indeed most rifles will shoot differently with a different person behind the rifle - but most of the time not enough to worry about.

Woodland / Farm Stalking.

Here a bipod is simply unnecessary weight, and shooting sticks - two canes with bungee around the middle, are far more versitile.

Most shots will be taken from standing or sitting position. Prone doesn't get the rifle high enough off the ground to get muzzle clear of grass / twigs etc.

Also standing gives you a much better angle so that you are shooting down into the ground - most farmland is pretty flat and you need to ensure a safe backdrop to shot.

I have come to the conclusion that I shoot better without a bipod on the rifle, using sticks as appropriate, but thats my personal choice.

I am a recent convert to the sticks, as I had not stalked woodland for deer before my recent visit with Ian & Jo, & now I am just as happy with either method, as the terrain/ conditions will now dictate the method I use on the day, as to lamping, shots are never taken other than off a bipod, usually from a platform mounted on a vehicle.