Munty

After racking up the hours at work over the last few weeks I decided to knock off early and head up to the shoot yesterday evening. A few of the lads were also up from the syndicate building some new high seats and so we agreed to divide the wood up between us each taking a high seat or low box for last light. I decided that I would get in nice n early and so at 4pm I was sat in a box which has been very productive over the last month.

2hrs later and I was rather wishing id brought the airgun not the 308. I'd counted a half dozen different squirrels and a pair of jays had sat chuntering at twenty yards or so. The wind picked up at that point and for the next 20 mins or so it was bloody chilly as the wind howled straight into the box and the wind whipped the light mizzle in for good measure. It was at this point I spotted some movement in a thick patch of birch. Munty! bingo. She was 30 yards away or so taking a 45 and would cross the ride in front of me but 60 yards or so up. It was a long 5 min as she slowly ambled along with only the odd glimpse to confirm my thoughts.

Safety off and scope down to 6 I waited as they never ever pause here. As she stepped out I kicked the box wall. she looked straight down the ride at me and fell flat without a twitch. I waited twenty for the light to almost go hoping I may see something else but no luck. She was a very young beast but heavily pregnant. Shes the 4th deer and 3rd munty from the seat in 4 outings. perfect reward to a long week.

my ratio has been ok since xmas but on the extras not the intended fallow . My syndicate mate is however, is on a blinding run of form having not blanked in 12 visits or so. I swear he must be rolling in musk or something!

Well done Martin...hope the burns I have heard of were not detracting from the enjoyment of being out lol!

my ratio has been ok since xmas but on the extras not the intended fallow . My syndicate mate is however, is on a blinding run of form having not blanked in 12 visits or so. I swear he must be rolling in musk or something!

At least you're getting something, that must surely be better than nothing :) What part of Wiltshire are the Fallow in, I haven't seen any around Chippenham-Swindon?

yep no complaints on a full freezer.
Were shooting just north of Cirencester. Lots of fallow around that area, I see the very odd random out walking the dogs near me but with some large blocks of woodland around Brinkworth and Purton it wouldn't surprise me if small herds were there. I know a block of FC was up for tender last year nr purton cant remember whether fallow were listed.

Ah that figures. I've done two guided stalks a little further North on the Cornbury Park Estate, loads of Fallow round there. Only seen Roe around Chippenham.

Back