Thread: Kidney with odd texture

Kidney with odd texture

I took a munty doe last night and had the livers and kidneys for tea tonight with onions and gravy.

The gralloch was completely clear last night and she was in very good order throughout with plenty of fat round kidneys. All perfectly good and normal when I sliced them up to pan fry but the kidney tasted bloody awful and the texture was very very grainy and colour was grey! any thoughts!

Any pictures?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

not pleasant so apologies but this is the bit I spat out. Im about to go back through the pluck from the bin to ensure I didn't miss anything I should have noticed.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure it was the kidney you were eating.....? Not the spleen?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

100% just been back through the pluck and spleen is still attached. all in good order as per first check lymphs all fine. Lungs good. Always super careful as we have TB locally so don't want a dose of that.

Just checking
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

I must admit, I can't bring myself to eat deer kidneys as the old pi55 filters always seem to taste just like deer pi55 smells!
    Whatever that is has just put me off them even more! I doubt it will harm you if they were cooked properly though.

Remington - will research as not seen that before!

Hello mate, I'm a butcher myself and I can honestly say I've never seen that before, the only advice is that that animal may of had cancer due to the bad kidney, I've cut a few kidneys that have had cancer in it before but the texture wasn't rough so I can't really help you there, but it's could you spat it out because whatever it was could've made you seriously ill.