243 or 6br

buckeroo

hi guys just wondering what to do have got custom 243 but might have the chance to get a 6br do i get rid of 243 and get the br or keep the 243 and get the br aswell .looking for info and comments on what you think.

hi guys just wondering what to do have got custom 243 but might have the chance to get a 6br do i get rid of 243 and get the br or keep the 243 and get the br aswell .looking for info and comments on what you think.

well.

I have had yada yada in the past, both 243 and 6mmbr at the same time.

i sold a lot of gear to pay the bills when i was laid off and medically unfit to get back to work, so it took its toll. now i have got back on my feet a tad and have just got a 6mmbr (a cracker at that) and this has to do 2 things for me,

i have the 20 tac for foxing and vermin etc,

but i love shooting/plinking long range, so i went for the br so that if and when i get fully back into stalking i have the rifle to do both the longer range work and stalking, but if i ever had the money again i would fill my other slots back up.

to include.(when i have the money to do so and my bills get paid without selling all my gear to do so)

in this order and as i have the slots free and ready to fill

17hmr/mod/scope
22lr/scope/mod
243/scope/mod

so if you have the chance to have them both, i would do it all over again.

best of luck to you, if you have both and love just the one, then you could sell the other, or leave it there for a rainy day.

regards to you

bob.

You really need to state what your intended use is.

What spec is your current .243 amd what spec is the 6mmbr on the table?

I own both, always the best option if you can...

243 is as follows shilen varmint barrel ,mcmillan a5 stock,blue printed remmy action,jewel trigger set 12oz and nightforce nf .and is shooting factory sako 90gr into thumb nail at 200yds.thinking of 243 for foxes and long range vermin. as for br have got a tikka 595 in 308 walnut stock thinking of getting it re-barreled in br and use for all my stalking as as it was a present from my dad so dont want to get rid of .also got 222 with night vision and 22mag for small stuff.

Although i wouldnt wish to stand in front of one im under the impression that 243win or 6mm are used by men who have to sit down to urinate , just what ive been told !!!:love::popcorn:

Last edited:
The 6mmBR barely and sometimes does not at all make the minimum muzzle energy requirement for UK deer, use your 243 for stalking and build a 6mmBR for fox and long range vermin:D

Ian.

The 6mmBR barely and sometimes does not at all make the minimum muzzle energy requirement for UK deer, use your 243 for stalking and build a 6mmBR for fox and long range vermin:D

Ian.

I have never had any problems with my BR's making 1700 ft/lb, the BR is only a tad behind the 243 in muzzle energies but FAR more accurate.

i say that i fancied a 6br but when i got ticket back from police all they put on was a 6mm so dont know what to get was thinking 6x47 or 6ppc .thats why i am asking because thought some guys on here would be able to narrow my choice with there experience of these calibres.

Hi Buckaroo, send me a pm if you would like to try out a custom 6mmbr to help with your decision. I find mine a joy to shoot, and is very frugal to reload.
There are so many 6mm options to go for depending on your chosen use (foxing and roe or wanting to include red), and how much reloading you enjoy doing.

Best regards, DMD

If you reload the 6BR is easy to make deer legal;)
Had no problem making my 1 in 12 twister 6PPC with 85 grain SPs deer legal so the extra case capacity of the BR should do it with ease:D

I would keep the 595 as a .308 far more forgiving when taking larger game. The 6mmbr would not be a "go to" all species deer round. A nice lightweight roe rifle would be quite sweet.

I would then wait until the .243 is shot out, which will be in around 2000 rounds if loaded nice and hot. Re-barrel in 6mmbr. The 6mmbr really is hand load only calibre. As is the 6-6.5x47 and certainly the 6ppc.

The 6mmbr has factory rounds but the last 20 I saw for sale were in excess of £40.

I have had 243, i have had a 6BR, i now shoot 22BR and 257 Improved, however seeing as you can have any 6mm, do some research on the 6mm Rem Improved, you will struggle to find a bad word said about this excellent cartridge, which would be my choice if i were to have another 6mm.

Ian.

Although i wouldnt wish to stand in front of one im under the impression that 243win or 6mm are used by men who have to sit down to urinate , just what ive been told !!!:love::popcorn:

if you believe every thing that are TOLD , and repeat it to others , that could some times , become a very awkward :lol:

From what you say your 243 already shoots extremely well - I'd keep that - easier to sell than a wildcat and get the Tikka rebarrelled (if it's shot out) to
7-08 or even leave it in 308 - again for resale / ammunition availability etc.
That way you'd end up with a much wider use arsenal for if you want to do some piggies / big red stags etc.

Ian

I looked into using a 6mm BR for big deer in Scotland and I couldn’t find any data that made 1750ft with 100gn bullet with a sensible length barrel, max’ 22”.

Do any of you guys have any loads which would achieve this? I have a 1-8 twist barrel blank read to go on my rifle if it is achievable.

ATB

Tahr

closest i have found

berger vld 95gr
varget. 30gr
cci 250 primer
lapua brass
barrel 22"
Vel 2875
energy 1740.

bob.

closest i have found

berger vld 95gr
varget. 30gr
cci 250 primer
lapua brass
barrel 22"
Vel 2875
energy 1740.

bob.

Very close Bob, I guess in my rifle it might just get there or might be a bit worse a lot of money to find the end result was just the wrong side of legal, shame a bit better powder might do it.

Back