DIY night vision

foxyrich

Been reading on the net about DIY night vision and was wondering if anyone was using one for foxing on a centre fire or rabbits to say 150yards and what results you was getting?

The majority of info I can find relates to ratting and short range air rifle stuff.

im fairly new to the NV side and my NV is a home made rig with a watec902 camera....I can move it from rifle to rifle In minutes and altho it looks cumbersome you soon "learn" to mount and watch the screen .....ive since added another IR torch....you can get couple of lads over on nightvisionforumuk to make them and cheaper than a nm800 and can get with white or coloured pills as well as IR .
I didn't make this..was made for me but still cheaper than a ns200 which it basically is....also I can see eye shine but maybe not ID it out past 300yds and further...shooting and being able to ID the target I would say 200-250yds

ive since had a different battery pack made that means i no longer have any wires running about at all from rifle to me ... far better

go to www.nightvisionforumuk.com & there are pinned threads there telling you how to make your own set up to same spec etc
paul

Hi sounds and looks good, identifying something at 200-250 yards at night all you need really, shooting them is never more than this on a good night and normally around the 150yards.

I already have a nm800 so wouldn't be to much trouble to fit a or bulb.

what is your wireless battery?

ill probably wait till just before harvest, but reading up on it at the moment.

what have you mounted it on, I was thinking it would be good on a hmr for rabbiting rather than foxing that's all.

im fairly new to the NV side and my NV is a home made rig with a watec902 camera....I can move it from rifle to rifle In minutes and altho it looks cumbersome you soon "learn" to mount and watch the screen .....ive since added another IR torch....you can get couple of lads over on nightvisionforumuk to make them and cheaper than a nm800 and can get with white or coloured pills as well as IR .
I didn't make this..was made for me but still cheaper than a ns200 which it basically is....also I can see eye shine but maybe not ID it out past 300yds and further...shooting and being able to ID the target I would say 200-250yds

ive since had a different battery pack made that means i no longer have any wires running about at all from rifle to me ... far better

go to www.nightvisionforumuk.com & there are pinned threads there telling you how to make your own set up to same spec etc
paul
NVsetup.jpg

Sorry mate but that looks about as practical as going lamping with a maglite and a cricket bat! first rain shower flash BANG, crawling through the undergrowth with that:doh:

Try this one from Bewsher

LIDL-NV-add-on-project!

Sorry don't know how to add an SD link

Ed

been consigned to the ever growing list of projects!
failed to find a lens that gave a narrow enough field of view without massive eye relief

then managed to snap one of the CCD ribbon sensor

its doable and does not require the massive amounts of hardware that some other options require

To be honest since then I have started looking at using a smart phone (very slim) and an IR source
most digital cameras will pick up an IR source

doesnt have to be military grade to produce usable NV

I was thinking along the lines of replicating a nite site so rubber sleeve with camera and a screen on a quick clamp.

If I'm honest the above pic looks very busy and clumbersum but sure it can be arranged or toned down to personal preference, what sounds good is the results of your camera and distance.

the only issue is how easy is the gun to handle and mount with all that attached and a screen mounted higher than your natural line of sight?

ohmlaut-mk6.jpg
This is mine thus far (minus the battery which is a small, stocked mounted affair, and the illuminator which again, is a small scope mounted item, very lightweight as it doesn't need an internal battery). The whole thing adds 110mm to the back of the scope.

With the large 66mm adapted X Searcher torch from Deerelight (TacLight) I'm getting eye shine to 600 yards with a clear, 'shootable' picture to 350 yards plus. The unit will work down to as little as 10 yards by adjusting the dimmer and torch focus.

With the small torch it will come with (most lightweight and easy to use - who really needs to see out to 600 yards?), it will give a clear picture at x10 to 250 yards, eye shine to 350 ish. It weighs no more than 330g (minus torch minus battery). As the battery is stock mounted the weight is in the armpit, as the torch is light it doesn't weigh the front of the rifle down and as the unit itself it light it doesn't add too much to the overall weight. Having the torch driven by the unit means you only need to carry one battery, and that comes with a car charger too so you can charge it on the way to your shooting permission.

Everything is correctly mounted (rather than some peoples builds where everything is chucked in a box and packed with foam), the buttons on top are IP67 rated so you should be unaffected by drizzle if it starts to rain when your out. There you go, some home builds aren't like a plate of spaghetti and will outperform most of the digi add-ons currently on sale (to my knowledge). Total cost £750, so still less than a NS200 :D.

Ta, it's taken the best part of 18 months. The viewer is 'through the scope' so the head position is natural, with a three point contact maintained throughout. I've designed circuitry to prevent damage from reverse polarity, its internally fused against any over current or short circuits, I did away with the usual solution of using linear regulators (really crappy and dreadfully inefficient) to manage the different voltages required throughout, and instead use a system that maximises efficiency from the DC supply. Oh yes, and it features RF filtering to prevent any electrical 'bleed' across other devices. There's quite a bit gone into that little black box!

I've since changed out the dimmer control for something more streamlines and put the buttons in properly (one is sticking up in that photo).

View attachment 39658
This is mine thus far (minus the battery which is a small, stocked mounted affair, and the illuminator which again, is a small scope mounted item, very lightweight as it doesn't need an internal battery). The whole thing adds 110mm to the back of the scope.

With the large 66mm adapted X Searcher torch from Deerelight (TacLight) I'm getting eye shine to 600 yards with a clear, 'shootable' picture to 350 yards plus. The unit will work down to as little as 10 yards by adjusting the dimmer and torch focus.

With the small torch it will come with (most lightweight and easy to use - who really needs to see out to 600 yards?), it will give a clear picture at x10 to 250 yards, eye shine to 350 ish. It weighs no more than 330g (minus torch minus battery). As the battery is stock mounted the weight is in the armpit, as the torch is light it doesn't weigh the front of the rifle down and as the unit itself it light it doesn't add too much to the overall weight. Having the torch driven by the unit means you only need to carry one battery, and that comes with a car charger too so you can charge it on the way to your shooting permission.

Everything is correctly mounted (rather than some peoples builds where everything is chucked in a box and packed with foam), the buttons on top are IP67 rated so you should be unaffected by drizzle if it starts to rain when your out. There you go, some home builds aren't like a plate of spaghetti and will outperform most of the digi add-ons currently on sale (to my knowledge). Total cost £750, so still less than a NS200 :D.

That is without doubt the most professional home built rig I've ever seen. Are you planning to make them for sale or would you offer any more detail of how you've put it together? I'm guessing electronics are your trade?

Ta, it's taken the best part of 18 months. The viewer is 'through the scope' so the head position is natural, with a three point contact maintained throughout. I've designed circuitry to prevent damage from reverse polarity, its internally fused against any over current or short circuits, I did away with the usual solution of using linear regulators (really crappy and dreadfully inefficient) to manage the different voltages required throughout, and instead use a system that maximises efficiency from the DC supply. Oh yes, and it features RF filtering to prevent any electrical 'bleed' across other devices. There's quite a bit gone into that little black box!

I've since changed out the dimmer control for something more streamlines and put the buttons in properly (one is sticking up in that photo).

very nice
what unit is internal or did you make it from scratch?

It's not just one unit, it's several different components, which have been reworked or rewired and then piggybacked onto my own design power and driver circuitry.

Back